Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Siscia workshop symbols  (Read 470 times)

Offline mwalker

• Praetorian
Siscia workshop symbols
« on: January 20, 2015, 10:30:00 am »
Morning.

I'm curious to know more about why the Siscia mint seemed to use symbols to denote their workshops. Were these characters inspired by a pre-Roman culture in the area?

Currently I'm working to ID a FEL TEMP REPARATIO, minted at Siscia with one of these symbols. The XLS I use to assist with these efforts refers to the symbol only as [SYM 4] and is pictured here.

If this is just a funky way to denoting gamma - then I'd like to put 'gamma' on my attribution.

Thanks in advance.

Offline mwalker

• Praetorian

All coins are guaranteed for eternity