Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Ancient Glass  |  Topic: Roman Glass Bottle 2, Authentic or Modern Forgery? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Roman Glass Bottle 2, Authentic or Modern Forgery?  (Read 693 times)
Mayadigger
Caesar

Romans, lock your wives way!

« on: January 18, 2015, 04:25:09 pm »

Ave!

Blown glass, 95mm x 57mm x 8mm (on the lip)

Three similar 'prancing' animal figures pressed into the glass while still malleable. Rock hard concretions. As seen in the lower left of the photo, we set the bottle in CLR (God Forgive me) for a two-three hour soak and that was the result.

Again, as I know zip concerning Roman glass, but I think it came out way too glossy for an item that was resting/corroding in the earth for more than 1,700 years, but what do I know?

No worries if it's a modern forgery...I just need to know.

Best to all,

Kevin

"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"
Molinari
Tribunus Plebis 2015
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Herakles cheated!

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 05:30:35 pm »

Is that a man-faced bull?

quadrans
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 12:13:23 am »

Ave!

Blown glass, 95mm x 57mm x 8mm (on the lip)

Three similar 'prancing' animal figures pressed into the glass while still malleable. Rock hard concretions. As seen in the lower left of the photo, we set the bottle in CLR (God Forgive me) for a two-three hour soak and that was the result.

Again, as I know zip concerning Roman glass, but I think it came out way too glossy for an item that was resting/corroding in the earth for more than 1,700 years, but what do I know?

No worries if it's a modern forgery...I just need to know.

Best to all,

Kevin

Very nice Kevin !

Thumbs Up

Q.

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 12:06:47 pm »

I have never seen anything similar, which is perhaps a reason to be cautious and seek greater expertise. 

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Ancient Glass  |  Topic: Roman Glass Bottle 2, Authentic or Modern Forgery? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop