Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Falling Horseman from Arles  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
Falling Horseman from Arles
« on: January 17, 2015, 03:59:12 pm »
I was hoping to start a discussion of earlier issued Falling Horseman FEL TEMPs from Arles before the name change, Constantia. The line between official and unofficial seems a bit blurry in some cases. I received this coin a few days ago and though I think its official, I'm not 100% certain.

D N CONSTAN-TIVS P F AVG, pearl diademed, draped & cuirassed, A behind.
FEL TEMP - REPARATIO Soldier spearing fallen horseman,Phrygian helmet, sitting on ground, arm(s) up, A left field, pellet right. PAR.L in ex
Arles
RIC--

Ferrando 2010, no. 1127

Please share any you have, official or not, and any opinions.

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Falling Horseman from Arles
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 04:00:31 pm »
Another one I have.

BGN353 - Constantius II (A.D. 337-361), Pre-Magnentian Revolt, AE Centenionalis, 21mm, 5.14g., Arles mint, first officina, A.D. 348-350, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of the Emperor right, A behind head, rev., FEL TEMP REPARATIO, PARL in exergue, helmeted soldier spearing fallen horseman, A in field, (RIC 119/121-22; Bridgnorth Report #79), very fine. RIC Arles 118

Ex Bridgnorth Hoard

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 04:54:20 pm »
Hi!

I have another one from the Bridgnorth Hoard, RIC VIII, Arles 141 var.
AE 3 (Centenionalis), 4.24g, 24mm, 210°
Arles, 1.  officina, AD 348-350, pre-Magnentian revolt
obv. DN CONSTAN - TIVS PF AVG
       Bust, draped and cuirassed, pearl-diademed, r.
       A behind bust
rev. FEL TEMP - REPARATIO
       Falling horseman (type FH2 sitting)
       in l. field A, in r. field dot
       in ex PAR
ref. RIC VIII, Arles 141 var. (no A in l. rev. field)
VF, oval flan

Best regards

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 11:04:02 pm »

My image (from my Forvm hosted FH page) has one coin from the Arles period and one from the Constantia days which started after the size of these coins had been reduced.  Both have a similarity in portrait style.  Many coins of Arles from the early days have fancy decorations on the horses rump but some you see have lost the detail to wear.  Arles is more common that Trier or Amiens but still not the easiest horseman to find.  

I believe your doubt about your coin being official is due to the dirt impacted around the eye making it look different than expected.  If you imaging it cleaned out I believe you will see similarity to the others here.  The style of Jochen's coin strikes me as different from others I have seen. 

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 03:50:39 am »
Note the odd little curls at the bottom of the hair-line on your first coin.  You can see similar on Doug's top coin.

Very strange A in the exergue on Jochen's coin.  Looks like a T.  But otherwise the style is quite good even if the flan is not.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 12:52:15 pm »
Nice coins! Thanks for posting too.

I believe your doubt about your coin being official is due to the dirt impacted around the eye making it look different than expected. If you imaging it cleaned out I believe you will see similarity to the others here.  The style of Jochen's coin strikes me as different from others I have seen.  

Note the odd little curls at the bottom of the hair-line on your first coin.  You can see similar on Doug's top coin.

Shawn

I guess its a combination of the sandy patina and elements I'm not used to seeing, like the Curls ( I've seen on unofficial coins too) and the triangular spacer in the ex give me uncertainty. I still would call mine official though.

My image (from my Forvm hosted FH page) has one coin from the Arles period and one from the Constantia days which started after the size of these coins had been reduced.  Both have a similarity in portrait style.  Many coins of Arles from the early days have fancy decorations on the horses rump but some you see have lost the detail to wear.  Arles is more common that Trier or Amiens but still not the easiest horseman to find.  

I think the only thing harder to find than a FH from Amiens is a FH of Magnentius :D

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 12:51:13 am »
Another, similar to Doug's.

IndianerJones

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 03:39:23 pm »
Nice coins +++

Offline agord

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 05:54:52 pm »
Some of mine.

Offline agord

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 06:11:46 pm »
a few more

Offline agord

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 06:19:54 pm »
and the rest.

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 01:15:54 am »
Sweet collection! Thanks for posting them.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity