Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gnaeus Domitius Ahenobarbus - Denarius or Fouree?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline manpace

• Caesar
Gnaeus Domitius Ahenobarbus - Denarius or Fouree?
« on: January 16, 2015, 01:34:41 am »
This guy was sold to me as a fouree, but there's no gaps or breaks in the surface.

19 mm, 3 grams.

I don't see anything obviously amiss, looks like legit examples on acsearch.  It even has the crazy-legs A at the end of ROMA

Is there a reliable way to tell?

Offline stultus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Consul
Re: Gnaeus Domitius Ahenobarbus - Denarius or Fouree?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 02:47:15 am »
Hi,
I do not think it is plated. Even if the copper is not visible there might be som 'bulges' on the surface due to corrosion underneeth.
In this condition the copper core would be visible.
I think the coin was burnt.
I.

Offline manpace

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 11:41:05 am »
Hi,
I do not think it is plated. Even if the copper is not visible there might be som 'bulges' on the surface due to corrosion underneeth.
In this condition the copper core would be visible.
I think the coin was burnt.
I.

That's reassuring, though could you expand a little on "in this condition"?  Do you mean the soft, uneven strike?  Or the wear on the coin?

Offline stultus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 03:47:17 am »
The coin seems to be damaged in front of the horses and quite worn on the helmet. Early subaerati have thick silver plating, but these damages would have hade a hole on the silvering.

Offline manpace

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 11:00:01 am »
That's actually from an uneven strike (but, according to my limited understanding of fourees, would have made uncovering any bronze underneath that much more likely).  So I think we're agreed.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity