Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Newest addition to my 12 Caesar's set - Galba  (Read 612 times)

Offline Holding_History

• Caesar
Newest addition to my 12 Caesar's set - Galba
« on: January 14, 2015, 08:07:06 am »
I have decided to finally focus on doing a high grade 12 Caesar's portrait denarius set. Something I have wanted to do for a long time, but never focused on. Part of the challenge for me will be finding as high of grade examples as I can, and not buying "good deals" but instead waiting for the right ones :). Here is my addition from last night's [REMOVED BY ADMIN] auction, I am super thrilled!

Galba AR Denarius. Gaul, Narbo? (68-69 A.D.)
SER GALBA IMPERATOR - Laureate head right
VICTORIA P R - Victory standing facing on globe, holding wreath and palm
RIC 111

Nathan
All the best,
Nathan

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
Re: Newest addition to my 12 Caesar's set - Galba
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 09:42:26 am »
Great coin and I bet he was a pretty "baby" too!
Thanks for sharing and good luck with the rest of those Caesars!
Keep us all up to date on your additions!

Offline jmuona

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 06:05:23 am »
I came across this great coin again and as this particular issue is special I thought of bringing it up here. In the new Butcher & Ponting book "The Metallurgy of Roman Silver Coinage" they analayzed three specimens of RIC 111/113, one of them is in my Forum gallery . It turned out that all these coins were of 98-99% silver bullion and the silver was either from Rio Tinto or Northern Spain, not of normal "Gallic min" type.
So, not only nice, but pure silver and probably from a mint yet to be named!
Jyrki Muona

Offline lordmarcovan

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 06:02:16 am »
Wow! 

I like those "Year of Four Emperors" guys, and this particular Galba is a peach!  +++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity