Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Septimius Severus "Emesa: COSI - my favorite die  (Read 660 times)

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Septimius Severus "Emesa: COSI - my favorite die
« on: January 13, 2015, 10:25:14 pm »
The image attached shows my five coins that share one specific obverse die.  The die is one of the Emesa mint varieties showing COSI rather than the usual COSII but it is also distinct in having PEPT for PERT and showing both S's in SEPSEV recut from C's.  I would like to know of any other reverses that use this die (only this obverse, not just any COSI die) and would like to see other specimens of these types (especially the last which is so miserable here).  These other specimens might help me understand such things as the order in which these were used and whether some of my coins variant readings are from the die or damage.

Reverses here are BONI EVENTVS, FELICITAS TEMPO, MINFP VICT, VICTOR IVST AVG and VICTOR SEVER AVG?

I am aware of a Victory with shield marked AVG and a Virtus reverse (Fourth Dura Hoard #46) that I do not have.

The image is enlargeable by clicking.

Thanks.

Offline Lerian

• Consul
Re: Septimius Severus "Emesa: COSI - my favorite die
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 12:48:22 pm »
Doug,

your eyes are more tuned than mine but take a look at these two and see if they may help?

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 01:02:11 pm »
Thank you.  The Victor Iust is a duplicate of my coin but theother is a different obverse die (reading PERT).  I really should be studying that die, too.

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 01:51:12 pm »
Thooughts on this one...

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 01:53:18 pm »
VICTOR SEVER AVG ?

and a scrappy IVST AVG ?

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 02:22:20 pm »
The standing Minerva is new to me but the other two are die duplicates of my two right coins above. 

I have the Minerva type in a different die with another obverse which is off center so I do not know if it is COSI or not.  Can we ID that die from anything in your collection?  It is not the die that started this thread but the style is early period. 

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 02:35:47 pm »
I think it is this one from a quick look through.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 03:34:45 pm »
Barry Murphy had four different reverses plus a die duplicate, so total five, in his Severan silver collection that he dispersed in 2002. I hope he won't mind my copying his photos here. Only one new reverse type/die not represented by Doug's five coins, namely Victory inscribing shield set on column.

Barry hadn't noticed the PEPT error in his descriptions. For that matter I hadn't noticed the two re-engraved C's until Doug pointed them out above. An original observation, Doug, or did Roger Bickford-Smith perhaps see it first?
Curtis Clay

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 03:39:10 pm »
Final two:
Curtis Clay

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 03:52:25 pm »
The VICTORIA coin is reverse die linked with this COS II example.

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 06:11:16 pm »
Yes, thanks.

I do not recall RABS mentioning that but I have not read his letters for years now.  My question on the C/S was brought up on My Favorite Coin page
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/feac6.html
when I was trying to decide how to interpret the difference in appearance between the Felicitas coin and the Victor Iust in those letters and posted close ups of them to make the point.  I still am on the fences about whether coins were struck before the correction was made or if die wear modified the recut.  I might mention that this particular error was a recurring problem and shows up on a few COS II dies (below) but not consistently on the same coin.  I have a couple others that may be attributed to poor coin condition but C/S (like P/R and B/R) were regular problems in the region.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity