Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Papel coin 1 needs a littel help.  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
  • Omnium rerum principia parva sunt
Papel coin 1 needs a littel help.
« on: January 12, 2015, 06:07:15 pm »
Hi all

I hope someone might help me with this littel (i guess is medieval Papel coin) and its brother.  :)

Its:

Silver:

Weight: 1,9 grams

Size: 1,9 mm

Kind regards Kim

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
Re: Papel coin 1 needs a littel help.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 11:39:23 pm »
Well i think i got this one Down. Pius IV, 1 carlin n/d, Avignon 1559 - 1565, Berman 1086
Obv: PIVS PP QVARTVS
Rev: CARO-C.DE.B-ORBO-N.L.AV

Offline Michael C

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 10:33:24 am »
Hi Kim,

I am not sure I fully agree with your ID.
It must be from Avignon, so far so good. However, from the parts of the legends which are legible, I do not think they match with what you suggest. For instance, the reverse legend I am sure reads (starting lower right): SAN TVS PET RVS (SANTVS PETRVS - Saint Peter). A common legend on the papal coins from Avignon. The obverse legend, which identifies the pope, is a bit more tricky though, but again, I cannot see that it should end in QVARTVS (an E is clearly visible where the A should be).

If I where to guess, I would say the legend starts with PAV... (as in PAVLVS - paul), which based on my assumption regarding the reverse legend, would make this coin an Avignon Guilio (rather than carlin) from Pope Paul III (1534-1549). Only one problem here, is that this coin appears to be missing an "I" in the obverse legend?!? The Paul III Avignon Guilio should read: PAVLVS P P TERTIVS, while your coin seems to end with just TERTVS (hence missing the I). However, unless someone else has better suggestion, I would guess this is still correct (your coin just being a variant of the catalog type).

Interesting coin no doubt  :)

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 08:26:39 pm »
Hello Michael

Soo sry i havent seen you reply, it has almost been ages since i put up the coin.  :) Well you got me beat, i can see what you say about the Legend. Well it just makes the coin 

more  interesting, i do love a mystery and makes the coin 10 years older.  ;) Well i will correct the info on the note. Would you know the catalog number by any chance?

Thank you very much Kim

All coins are guaranteed for eternity