Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 1  (Read 1295 times)

mstewart6698

« on: January 10, 2015, 08:27:04 pm »

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
That's interesting.  It must have been in a collection.  Didn't Augustus also collect coins and give them out as gifts?

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
Why not , mstewart.
Coins have been found same way as now .. plowing , heavy rain or ...., surely coins will be sold on and on until they will come to a rich man , who will find them as a perfect gift to a  king , who definitely will be excited to see what other great kings looked like or how their monetary system was … Surely Ancient Coins are pretty , they right got to the king' s heart and fell in love with them , as you fell and so did everyone here .

I sometimes think , some coins were minted in Mardin in 11 ce AD or so, using an old Greek dies of Demetrius found at some point of time , with adjustments .

Sam
Sam Mansourati

mstewart6698

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 10:38:18 pm »

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Didn't Augustus also collect coins and give them out as gifts?

Hi folks,

Yes, Augustus collected coins. And he copied them too.

Augustus had a fondness for Greek coins. The reverses on some of his AR denarius coins were copied from Greek AR coins. For example, there is the lion attacking a stag reverse, which, off-hand, I think was struck by M. Durmius.

Meepzorp

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
That's interesting.  It must have been in a collection.  Didn't Augustus also collect coins and give them out as gifts?

I suspect that Childeric would have thought of his hoard not as a 'collection' but rather as a store of bullion. Coins made of precious metals retain their intrinsic value, even if they are no longer in circulation. And the practice of keeping bullion in the form of ingots only becomes popular - as far as I know - in and after the late medieval period.

Bill R

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Wayne Sales discusses the Mardin coins and other similar coinage in his books on Turcoman Bronze Figural Coinage.

It is clear that no old dies were used - the design differs in significant ways from the originals - but it is clear that Hellenistic and Roman (including Constantinian) coin designs were copied in the 11th and 12 century.

Were the coins found in excavation like today?  Did the coins survive in "collections" or treasuries that long?  We will likely never know.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
Note that the Denarii and the Siliqua had all been pierced as had the Tetradrachm of Lysimachus and Solidus of Constantine IV (668-685 AD).

Loot, Bling, the Germanic Warlords loved it.

What I am puzzled by is how the Solidii of Heraclius (610-641 AD) and Constantine IV came to be in the grave of Childeric I (457-481 AD)?

Unless these were from the tomb of Childeric II (653 – 675 AD) which was robbed in 1645 AD?
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

mstewart6698

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 10:08:06 pm »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity