Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Michael VII ? Ae follis 26.48mm 5.7g SB 1878 or SB 1880A?  (Read 590 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Michael VII ? Ae follis 26.48mm 5.7g SB 1878 or SB 1880A?
« on: January 05, 2015, 03:18:08 pm »
I am cataloging this nice Ae follis which was in a large lot of Byzantines which I received for Xmas.  It measures 26.48 mm by 22.70 mm.  It weights 5.7 g ,  I believe that it is an issue of Michael VII.  Am I correct?  If so, is it SB 1878 or SB 1880A? Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
Re: Michael VII ? Ae follis 26.48mm 5.7g SB 1878 or SB 1880A?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 07:08:44 pm »
The half-follis SBCV 1880a was first published by Philip Grierson in vol. 3 of DOC. The single specimen he described weighed 3.56g with diameter 20mm. He commented: “This is not a clipped follis – the slightly bevelled edges show no sign of clipping – but a different denomination. The type of the obverse is only slightly smaller than that of the follis, but that of the reverse is much smaller and the inscription is differently spaced with the initial + separated from MIX.” Not everyone since has agreed with Grierson's judgement that this represents a separate denomination.

Anyway, by contrast, your coin is within the normal weight range [Grierson catalogues 19 examples, mostly between 5g and 8g]  and size [24mm to 29mm, with one larger specimen of 31mm] of SBCV 1878 and the initial + (which I think I can just about make out) seems not to be separated from symbols following.

Bill R.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Michael VII ? Ae follis 26.48mm 5.7g SB 1878 or SB 1880A?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 06:57:11 am »
Thanks.  I was pretty confident that it was  SB 1878 .  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity