Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Using PreLim for Coins and Artifacts  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Using PreLim for Coins and Artifacts
« on: December 22, 2014, 05:56:19 pm »
Ave!

Shawn wrote -
I would be interested in your views on where pre-lim comes in.

Pre-lim is an extremely fine grit polishing paste that serves in a number of ways.

It best cases, it is used to smooth porous green patina's without destroying it. The trick is to know what you're cleaning and the brush.

Any questions?

Best to all,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Using PreLim for Coins and Artifacts
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 12:23:21 pm »
Any questions?  With me?? Are you kidding???

1)  So you don't use it in any cleaning role per se?  In other words to remove dirt.  Just during post cleaning polishing?  Or can you clean stubborn dirt off with it?

2) What brushes do you use with it, and when?

3)  Do you then remove the residue somehow or does it evaporate or stay as a wax-like polish?

4)  In terms of polishing I was recently speaking with a museum restorer who sometimes uses very fine grain grey sandpaper (usually wet) to polish / gently smooth green cu-alloy patina.  I assume the pre-lim replaces such a technique?

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Re: Using PreLim for Coins and Artifacts
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 05:15:35 pm »
Ave!

Any questions?  With me?? Are you kidding???

1)  So you don't use it in any cleaning role per se?  In other words to remove dirt.  Just during post cleaning polishing?  Or can you clean stubborn dirt off with it?

2) What brushes do you use with it, and when?

3)  Do you then remove the residue somehow or does it evaporate or stay as a wax-like polish?

4)  In terms of polishing I was recently speaking with a museum restorer who sometimes uses very fine grain grey sandpaper (usually wet) to polish / gently smooth green cu-alloy patina.  I assume the pre-lim replaces such a technique?

Shawn

The test coin shown below is a worn 32mm Byzantine Follis that came from a wet environment and is covered with a thin hard/porous green patina.

In order -

1) Prelim is not recommended for cleaning dirt (it will remove dirt, btw, but there are better ways for this). Rather, it seems to work best on similar patinas as noted above, either for copper alloy coins or artifacts.

2) Once all/nearly all dirt has been removed, Prelim can be applied in two ways: 1) Add a small dab to a dry thin cotton towel and apply to the coin/artifact, bare down hard with up/down, left/right and circular motions for a minute or two. (this method was used in the coin example). 2) Or you can do the same with a stiff bristle cut-down tooth-brush or a similar round stiff-bristle brush in a Dremel tool. FYI - the using Prelim in a Dremel tool is messy (wear an apron or similar) but seems to be the best way to apply Prelim as the short bristles tend to get into all the cracks and crevasses that a towel application does not.

3) Once you have either of the above, set the coin/artifact aside and allow the paste to dry...just like car wax. Once the paste is completely dry, use another dry non-metal brush to buff off the paste. Not all may not be removed at this point, so feel free to use soap, water and a toothbrush to remove any residual remaining paste. You can repeat all of the above as many times as you like without getting down to bare metal, but just keep a close eye on your progress.

4)
I assume the pre-lim replaces such a technique?
Absolutely. Using any type of sandpaper on a coin just seems a bit too harsh. Never tried sandpaper on an artifact, so I cannot comment to it's efficacy.

Prelim is just another product that anyone can add to their cleaning arsenal. In some cases it will not work at all, while in others it's a real boon. In all cases it will not do any harm when used as recommended above. Seen in the coin below, after just one application, the details are beginning to appear, the brown patina is still intact and the porous green patina has been smoothed and brightened.

Last thought concerning Prelim - not sure why, but after use, it tends to give a more heightened appearance after applications of Ren Wax.

Best regards to all,

Kevin

"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

All coins are guaranteed for eternity