Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Stannard scoop denarius  (Read 747 times)

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Stannard scoop denarius
« on: December 19, 2014, 05:41:42 pm »
On several occasions we have seen discussions here on Forvm of Republican denarii weight adjusted by scooping out a bit of silver with a gouge.  It has been established by Clive Stannard that these coins were issued 'al marco' or on a standard of so many to a given weight of metal so exact individual weights for each coin was not important but great care was taken that a batch of coins weighted what the standard required.  This was accomplished by making a batch of blanks very slightly over the target weight and then scooping out a bit of silver from enough coins to bring the total weight down to the exact weight desired.  It is proposed that a worker would grab a flan adjust it and throw it back in the group on the scales repeating until the total was correct.  Since blanks were selected at random, this system would allow the same blank to be grabbed more than once and even gouged a second time without the worker noticing that it already had a gouge mark on the other side.  I am asking if the coin shown here is the result of a double scoop. 

L. Julius Bursio 85 BC 3.85g Julia 5 Crawford 352/1c  control HE at top of reverse (what is the obverse minor device?)

Most Stannard scoop coins will show a depression or flat spot on the side opposite the scoop but a double scoop would not show this second depression aligned with the first.  That appears to be the case the case with this coin at first look but there is another problem that prevents me from being certain. The coin has a banker's mark placed exactly in the reverse scoop distorting the overlapped part of the obverse scoop.  At first look, I tried to convince myself that the obverse scoop was made with the tool held upside down causing a dome rather than a recessed center but now believe the dome was caused by deformation by the banker's mark.  My photo is not as good as I would like to show the reverse scoop (I always have to reshoot strange coins a few times to show all their features to best advantage and the uneven toning is not helping this specimen).  There will be more as I try to convince myself what I am seeing here.  Opinions from others interested in technical matters would be appreciated. 

I would enjoy seeing images of Stannard scooped coins that are either doubled or deformed by banker's marks that my be available. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity