Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My new lifetime-issue AU Alexander III Tetradrachm.  (Read 844 times)

Offline imhalek

• Legionary
My new lifetime-issue AU Alexander III Tetradrachm.
« on: December 19, 2014, 09:55:39 am »
I believe that it is this one: http://www.coinproject.com/coin_detail.php?coin=235885
If so, that means that it was struck between 327-323 BCE in Tarsus.
This is definitely my favorite coin.  I have had another Alexander tetradrachm minted in Amphipolis under Cassander for several years, but I really wanted a lifetime issue, and I finally got one!

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: My new lifetime-issue AU Alexander III Tetradrachm.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 10:06:09 am »
There are some unsightly plastic adhesions that I would clean off, otherwise a very nice coin! I was irritated by the "AU" at first and feared someone had sold it to you as a gold coin.
Andreas Reich

Offline imhalek

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 12:53:42 pm »
I know most people here don't like slabs, but I do, because they ensure (as much as is possible) authenticity, demonstrate the quality (grade), and keep the coin safe from corrosion and damage.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 01:06:16 pm »
Nice coin. The coin project example is not the same coin (yours is nicer).  Not sure if you were saying it was the same coin or same type.

Offline imhalek

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 01:21:54 pm »
I just meant that I thought it was the same type
The eagle on mine seems slightly more upright, and the globule might be in a slightly different position, but that was the closest match that I could find.

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 01:33:01 pm »
It's a beautiful coin. Congratulations!

Slabs are a matter of preference of course. If I were in the market for valuable coins, I'd appreciate the authentication myself - I trust David Vagi and his crew implicitly. Nobody bothers slabbing the coins I collect, except for a handful of eBay dealers that think they can charge an arm and a leg for common coins just because they're encased in plastic. I see those coins up for sale over and over and over again - the prices never come down, and they are rarely ever sold.

At any rate, you've got a lovely new addition to your collection there. Kudos.

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 08:25:22 pm »
It's a beautiful coin. Congratulations!

Slabs are a matter of preference of course. If I were in the market for valuable coins, I'd appreciate the authentication myself - I trust David Vagi and his crew implicitly.

Afaik NGC does not guarantee authenticity on ancient coins they slab.

PtolemAE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity