Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Valentinian II coin with wrong spelling? REPATIO (REPARATIO)  (Read 777 times)

Offline sinnb-sinnb

• Consul
Valentinian II coin with wrong spelling? REPATIO (REPARATIO)
« on: December 12, 2014, 03:16:51 am »
I have this coin which I think is a Valentinian II coin.

The front is, unfortunately, not very good.

On the reverse side, the text is as far as I can see, misspelled.

The text chould be: REPARATIO-REIPVB but it is REPATIO-REIPVB.

As I see it, it seems that the one who has created the tool to the coin, have created the 4 first letters (REPA) too big, and therefore he did not have space for rest of the text. So he did not put in RATIO but only wrote TIO.

Am I right in this interpretation?

If I am right, that gives me some questions.

1. Is it usually with misspelling on Roman coins?

2. Does this coin have any interest for collectors?

3. Does this misspelling make the coin worth less or does it increase the value of the coin?

The coin: Size 21,4 mm. Weight 4 g.

Marshallsw429

Re: Valentinian II coin with wrong spelling? REPATIO (REPARATIO)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 01:52:19 pm »
How do I post a pic?
I have a Valentinian Reparatio REIPVB I wanna show.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity