Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Trajan dichalkon?  (Read 316 times)

Offline ukedem

• Praetorian
Trajan dichalkon?
« on: December 10, 2014, 03:12:15 pm »
Another one that has me stumped.

In size and appearance it looks like an Alexandrian dichalkon although its very thin.

Obv. Bust right (Trajan?)
Rev. Vine leaf

12mm / 0.53gms

Elias

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
Re: Trajan dichalkon?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 03:25:39 pm »
Hey Elias,
   I have a similar specimen which was up for discussion in the past.  Here is the thread.  Yours and mine would appear to be from the same series.  The previous thought was that it may be from Idyma, although I am not convinced yet as these two specimens seem to have imperial portraits to me, and have the dotted border on the reverse.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=80094.0

Kurt

Offline ukedem

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 03:35:52 pm »
Hi Kurt and thank you for the link!

I agree that it is nothing like the Idyma coin in style (except that the reverse may indeed be a fig/vine leaf).

I also agree that it appears to be an Imperial portrait... I think mine looks somewhat like Trajan but it could be any of the
earlier emperors. Mine (and maybe your coin too) also has dotted borders on both sides.

Elias

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 10:37:13 am »
Elias,
   I took a look through the Hamburger article and there is nothing similar described.

Kurt

Offline GAT

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 03:20:27 pm »
Here is a similar unattributed coin from my collection that weighs about twice as much as the two examples already referenced in this thread. Maybe this additional example will provide a clue that can help to attribute all three coins. There don't appear to be any traces of letters on either side of my coin. I originally thought the reverse depicted a grape bunch but had a large die crack. It could also be a dagger stabbed through something, or maybe something else entirely.  I've seen one other example from the same dies as my coin.  It was listed several years ago by John Jencek on his web site as a 'mystery coin' requiring attribution.  I don't know if he ever attributed it.

Details for my coin are as follows: AE14 mm; 1.45 grams; die axis = 9.

GAT

All coins are guaranteed for eternity