Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Septimius Severus Sestertius Fortuna  (Read 566 times)

Offline Lerian

• Consul
Septimius Severus Sestertius Fortuna
« on: December 08, 2014, 03:35:19 pm »
A step outside for me, I tend to stick to Severan silver, so this is my first Bronze (copper) specimen.

L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP VII
Laureate bust right with drapery or aegis on left shoulder.

PM TRP III COS II PP - SC
Fortuna, draped, standing front, head left, holding rudder on globe and cornucopiae.   

23.95g    Rome AD 195 or 195-196   RIC 706   BMC 580 (no wheel)

The drapery on his left shoulder surely shows his cloaks clasp and not an aegis?

And the date, I am not sure if this dates specifically to 195 or between 195-196 ??

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Septimius Severus Sestertius Fortuna
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 12:18:24 pm »
A nice coin!

The date is clear: TR P III = 10 Dec. 194-9 Dec. 195.

The type seems ordinary but is interesting, because it is the type that replaced Septimius' earlier type for Clodius Albinus, when in c. summer 195 Septimus decided to cease striking coins for Albinus. So Albinus' type was stopped, and TR P III Fortuna was added to Septimius' coinage as his fourth contemporaneous type.

As you note, a wheel was sometimes added to this type on the ground behind Fortuna. I wonder if that wheel refers to the fact that Septimius was now underway from Mesopotamia to Gaul to confront Albinus.

Your coin is no. 1203 in my 1972 die catalogue: o227/r370, specimens in BMC 576, Paris, and Vienna. Your coin is better on both sides than the casts I chose to illustrate the dies!

Yes, fold of cloak and clasp on front shoulder and behind neck, not aegis.
Curtis Clay

Offline Lerian

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 02:07:07 pm »
Many thanks Curtis.

It was actually an unintended buy from a recent auction.

Its also interesting about the wheel, BM does mention 580 with no wheel, but other specimens I have looked at on the net all seem to have it present.   

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 02:15:59 pm »
Maybe the wheel was a later addition to the type, introduced in say fall 195.

Of 18 TR P III Fortuna dies in my 1972 study, only six have the wheel.

Same type but TR P IIII: 12 dies, only one without wheel.

Septimius' march to the West must have begun in fall 195: by late Nov.-early Dec. 195 he was in Viminacium where he proclaimed Caracalla Caesar. So if the wheel too was only introduced at around the same time, that would support its interpretation as a reference to Septimius' journey.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity