Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown Pius as?  (Read 699 times)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Unknown Pius as?
« on: December 08, 2014, 03:24:22 pm »
I just bought this most remarkable as: ANTONINVS AVG - PIVS PP TR P X??? laureate head right / COS ?? VO-TA/S-C emperor standing left, sacrificing from a patera over a lighted candelabrum; uncertain object left on ground. The coin weighs 9.35 grams. No coins of Pius' tenth tribunician year are known. There is a vota series of year XI - is there a 'I' missing?

Any ideas welcome!

Frans

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
Re: Unknown Pius as?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 04:03:41 pm »
Not in Cohen nor RIC but this denarius looks like TR P X

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 11:01:56 pm »
Frans,

Your coin is Strack 1015, Berlin only, pl. XIII, same rev. die as yours.

The remarkable features of the rev. are (a) VO - TA across field, rather than in exergue, and (b) candelabrum altar not tripod altar.

The sacrificing figure is usually called the emperor, but Strack points out unveiled, bearded figures on some examples, which he thinks must be the Genius of the Senate, and he suggests that the unveiled figure on this As might be Marcus Caesar.

The Berlin specimen is EF, but unfortunately weak precisely on the date. Strack reads TR P XI, and I think that's what we must restore for your coin too.

No TR P X coins of Pius are known. Apparently it was not until his tribunician day, 25 Feb. 148, that TR P XI was added to his numismatic titulature. Marcus had been TR P since 1 Dec. 147 after the birth of his daughter, and now three months later he was becoming TR P II. That increase in Marcus' number was the occasion of adding TR P XI for Pius, to achieve balance in the titles of the two rulers.

On denarii, the VOTA type seems to have been introduced rather late in TR P XI, and was then continued for a longer period in TR P XII. So it's very unlikely that the type was introduced earlier on the bronzes, with your hypothetical TR P X !

As to Benito's denarius, that Vesta standing type was struck only for Antoninus as TR P XV-XVII. The date on this denarius is incomplete: it must originally have been XV, XVI, or XVII.
Curtis Clay

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 01:45:42 am »
I just bought this most remarkable as: ANTONINVS AVG - PIVS PP TR P X??? laureate head right / COS ?? VO-TA/S-C emperor standing left, sacrificing from a patera over a lighted candelabrum; uncertain object left on ground. The coin weighs 9.35 grams. No coins of Pius' tenth tribunician year are known. There is a vota series of year XI - is there a 'I' missing?

Any ideas welcome!

Frans

Nice and interesting find Frans ..
 Congratulation ,  +++
 and thanks for posting..

p.s.

Many thanks Curtis for the explanation, and discussion... :)

Best regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 04:06:33 am »
Your coin is Strack 1015, Berlin only, pl. XIII, same rev. die as yours.

WoW! Just one other coin known! That's interesting news.

I agree that the date should have read TR P XI and I also agree to the person on the reverse not being Antoninus himself. I had myself thought of Marcus Aurelius, as the person depicted seems pretty young and Pius was sixty. Also a sacrificing genius is not a bad idea as he seems to be nude to the waist.
Thank you all for your kind remarks and contributions!

Frans

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 01:43:30 pm »
Having the coin in hand, I can assure you that the obverse reads: ANTONINVS AVG - PIVS PP TR P XI !

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity