Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Maximianus follis?  (Read 440 times)

djmorton

Maximianus follis?
« on: December 08, 2014, 12:03:37 pm »
I think this is a Maximianus follis. 6.76 gram, and 25.1mm diameter. However I cannot figure out the reverse. Most of the follis in sear and on wildwinds with a single figure on the reverse have it facing left, however on this example it is facing right. Does anyone recognise this?

Offline clueless

• Caesar
Re: Maximianus follis?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 12:17:43 pm »
Cyzikus

reverse VIRTVTI EXERCITVS

mintmark A\*\MKV

RIC VI, but I haven't my RIC at hand.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 12:35:21 pm »

Yes RIC VI Cyzicus 59 (Galerius).

Pekka K

djmorton

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 01:04:07 pm »
Thank you both for the id. Now I know what it is supposed to be I can see the GAL at the start of the obverse legend :-)

Offline Barabus

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 10:17:12 pm »
 I see Maximinus !
Organized religion is the second oldest profession, and nowhere near as honest as the first.

djmorton

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 03:06:38 pm »
There is an A directly above the wreath though it is not very clear and could be read as an N. However the character to its right is clearly the N.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity