Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin or Weight? Xray Image  (Read 497 times)

Jonathan O

Coin or Weight? Xray Image
« on: December 07, 2014, 01:06:10 am »
This coin was dug up by a team in Doha, Qatar recently. Without x-ray nothing shows up, but with the x-ray you can see some markings. The weight is 3.98 grams. The team is debating whether this is a weight or a coin? To me it looks a bit like a Indian Princely State anonymous coin, and seems to light to be useful as a weight.

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: Coin or Weight? Xray Image
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 01:27:37 am »
metal I presume? looks like a coin, not a weight, hard to make out the design, not familiar with Indian Princely state coinage though.

cordially

cw

Jonathan O

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 01:43:16 am »
It is metal, there is some lead though, about 8%.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 10:04:46 am »
Even if there is nothing to see in a regular photograph, a sharp photograph might reveal details of flan shape and fabric that would at least allow a hypothesis.

Jonathan O

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 10:11:50 am »
So we figured it out. It was a madras presidency coin/East India Company from 1803.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 11:14:30 am »
Great--difficult identification to make in that condition.

Jonathan O

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 01:48:48 am »
Indeed, it was a great case of "How many archaeologists does it take to identify a coin" :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity