Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Beautiful Fel Temp hut with detailed soldier, what's he wearing?  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Pharsalos

• Consul
Beautiful Fel Temp hut with detailed soldier, what's he wearing?
« on: December 05, 2014, 09:28:06 pm »
I recently had the very good luck to pick up this wonderfully engraved, struck and preserved  Fel Temp Reparatio hut coin. The mint mark is SMKA: Cyzicus. The weight is 4.20 grams and the diameter is 21mm.

The details are very clear, and my question is what do you think is the bulbous object/s on the soldier's (or Constan's) abdomen? My first impression was that it looked like a gourd water bottle. Any other ideas?

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Beautiful Fel Temp hut with detailed soldier, what's he wearing?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 11:40:43 pm »
Quote from: Pharsalos on December 05, 2014, 09:28:06 pm
The details are very clear, and my question is what do you think is the bulbous object/s on the soldier's (or Constan's) abdomen?

I would say either the hilt of his sword or the indication of a decorative cuirassRIC does not specifically describe anything of interest at the soldier's abdomen.

Offline manpace

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 12:02:05 am »
I love the ones where the soldier is smiling.  I don't see the soldier's left hand...could it be he has the spear tucked under his arm and that's his hand grabbing his belt.

Gorgeous coin.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 12:21:54 am »
Looks like the hilt of his sword

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 01:08:32 am »
Looks like the hilt of his sword

Hi folks,

I agree. The thing that looks like a water bottle is actually the middle portion of the sword (the piece at the base of the blade). Above that piece is another (round) piece, which looks like the bottom of the sword. Of course, the sword is upside-down, so that piece is at the top here.

Meepzorp

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 10:38:43 am »
A superbly-detailed example. Nice find!

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 10:41:13 am »
Quote from: Pharsalos on December 05, 2014, 09:28:06 pm
I recently had the very good luck to pick up this wonderfully engraved, struck and preserved  Fel Temp Reparatio hut coin. The mint mark is SMKA: Cyzicus. The weight is 4.20 grams and the diameter is 21mm.

The details are very clear, and my question is what do you think is the bulbous object/s on the soldier's (or Constan's) abdomen? My first impression was that it looked like a gourd water bottle. Any other ideas?

Very nice coin and details.. +++

Congratulation

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 11:17:25 am »
Beautiful reverse, indeed. But here I have found a coin on Vcoins, Constans Trier RIC 224, with similar structures, which seem to belong to his cuirass.

BTW The position of the spear is actually impossible!

Best regards

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 12:26:39 pm »
I think there are two things portrayed on these two coins.  Jochen's coin does seem to show a row of pteruges along the bottom of the cuirass, while Pharsalos' seems to show the hilt of the gladius sword. 

A google search will show that the round pommel can be very large on some gladii -  3" diameter is normal and some even top a ridiculous-looking 4" diameter.  Like having a grapefruit above the belt line.

And the position of the spear is perfectly plausible - assuming he has either thrust it through his waistbelt and under his tunic skirt (the Roman equivalent of the gun down the underpants routine?), or has run himself through the abdomen.   ;)

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Pharsalos

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 07:33:05 pm »
Thank you all for your responses! I have attached a cropped portion of the dealers image; it is a little crisper with better contrast. I can see how the small dot and larger bulb could be the hilt of a sword, but to me the 3 blobs looked connected in a shallow 'V'. Although I will say in the hand the small dot stands out the most.

I had also noticed the spear, yes I think it is an impossible position unless there is a hole in his tunic (or as otlichnik suggests abdomen!). My guess is that the spear was engraved  last. The engraver seems to have realised the problem and has attempted to half-heartedly place the spear in front of the tunic where it crosses the biceps. The problem is this area is in relatively high relief, so the spear above the shoulder would have to be engraved impossibly deep to make any sense.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 01:21:10 pm »
There are certainly weird things going on in the torso area.  Like that cross-line under the arm-pit and the other blobs you noted.  Poor attempt at detailing the cuirass??

It is so hard to be sure what was being portrayed on such coins. We can't be certain whether they were trying to portray contemporary armour - which would be mail (lorica hamata) or scale (lorice squamata) - or more likely earlier items which had been "frozen" in contemporary iconography but were no longer in actual use like lorica segmentata, muscle cuirass or a decorated type imperial cuirass.  And then there are the arm and abdomen pteruges - real, or likely archaic.  Throw in belts, swords, baldrics, capes and fibulae and it can be hard to figure it all out.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 05:30:23 pm »
It looks as though the spear has just fallen from the skies, gone through his tunic, and then through his backside. In which case, why is he looking so cheerful?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 04:16:56 am »
Because he knows he will not die until the Renaissance artists perfect modern approaches to perspective in about 1000 years and out his little secret.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Merinda

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 01:27:23 pm »
Perhaps the engraver did get the spear right, and what we are seeing as the impossible part of the spear between his shoulder and waist is actually a depiction of his side? Thus the spear disappears at his shoulder and then reappears below his tunic and is ok ?

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 05:18:08 am »
If that was the case then the spear would have to be leaning balanced on the rear of his left shoulder.  An unlikely and awkward stance.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity