Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: unknown coin  (Read 567 times)

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
unknown coin
« on: November 30, 2014, 06:07:36 am »
Recently the following coin was sold on e-bay.
Any ideas on what is it?
18mm  6.78gr

tk

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
Re: unknown coin
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 07:15:23 am »
 Sicily . Roger II (1105-1154) AE Double Follaro .
 Spahr 50 .
Regards ,
Vlad .

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 11:25:58 am »
Just found out that it now belongs to  our friend  SpongeBob https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-114913
Regards ,
Vlad

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 11:28:47 am »
Thank you Vlad
Spongebob has indeed a very nice collection!

tk

Offline Quant.Geek

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 06:51:49 am »
;D  Thanks guys.  I need to take a better picture of the coin. I was glad I won this as the condition of the coin is actually pretty good in comparison to what is normally available.  The Norman conquest of Sicily is a very interesting period with an equally interesting series of coinage.  Elements of Byzantium and Islamic elements are found, especially Roger II's coinage.  Consider the following Follaros that was sold on CNG.  These coins, unfortunately, are not mine:

All coins are guaranteed for eternity