Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antoninus Pius sestertii with special edge  (Read 373 times)

Offline Charles S

• Consul
Antoninus Pius sestertii with special edge
« on: November 26, 2014, 09:04:53 am »
Regularly I find a special type of edge on sestertii of Antoninus Pius.  There are perpendicular ridges at a rate of about 2 per mm, too wide to be file marks .  It is a bit like a serrated edge but not immediately noticeable.  Here is one example of such an edge with markings.  It is from a coin I just got in and uploaded it to : https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-114996

Is anything known about these type of edges ?
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Antoninus Pius sestertii with special edge
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 04:18:41 am »
I don't think the marks are too wide for a roman period file or rasp.  It looks like it may have be the remains of an attempt to file down the spur from when the flan was cast

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity