Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Looks ordinary, but is rare: as of Pius from 139  (Read 408 times)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Looks ordinary, but is rare: as of Pius from 139
« on: November 25, 2014, 02:34:32 pm »
Some coins can deceivingly look ordinary or familiar:
ANTONINVS - AVG PIVS PP, his laureate head right / TR POT - COS IIAequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae.
Cohen knew of the coin as he described it as number 868 and RIC copied Cohen an gave it number 564a. BM have not got it and refer back to Cohen 868(p. 184*). For me it proved impossible to find the coin in Wildwinds, Acsearch etc.  This is, of course my first example with a nicely preserved reverse. The type was issued in the earlier series of 139 (Strack 750; BMC 1137note) and as a dupondius like this type (BMC p. 181*). Strack probably saw it elsewhere, but I can't verify that at the moment.
Hope you like it!

Frans

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Looks ordinary, but is rare: as of Pius from 139
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 02:49:54 pm »
Strack 800, specimens like yours in Berlin, Paris (= C. 868), Rome. Bust laur. draped r.: Platt. Head laur. left: Rome, Gotha.

Yours is a nice specimen!
Curtis Clay

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 03:00:00 pm »
Thank you for your quick response and appreciation of the coin. It was somewhat covered in (iron)rust which I managed to remove from the obverse (for the larger part). I got it nearly free; postage being a near equivalent of the purchase. I am still experimenting making pictues. The ones with direct lighting show all details, but mostly lack color. I will manage, one day!

Frans

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 11:34:48 pm »

Fabulous coin!!

c.rhodes

All coins are guaranteed for eternity