Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Most Enigmatic Alexander  (Read 1807 times)

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
A Most Enigmatic Alexander
« on: November 25, 2014, 02:23:04 am »
I recently had the good fortune to acquire an example of a relatively rare Mesembria Alexander Tetradrachm, Price 1003, of which nine examples are known.  

Unlike most Alexanders which bear a generic portrait of Herakles (the exception being Odessos Alexanders Price 1191-3 which bear a portrayal having the characteristics of Mithradates) this coin has a distinct portrait quality Herakles with some of the features of Alexander the Great, sufficient for Price to describe it as an emission "with the very fine portrait, apparently of Alexander in the guise of Herakles".

The coin has a number of other unusual characteristics. It is the first identified and now documented example from a reverse die that is a die match, albeit with erased and re-engraved controls, to that used to strike all known examples of Price 1005. Until I acquired this coin and identified the match the reverse die was only known in its modified state from Price 1005 all the other examples of Price 1003 being struck from one of three other reverse dies.

My more extensive notes on this coin follow. Also attached is the reverse die match comparison involving the erasure and re-engraving of controls between Price 1003 and Price 1005. A full  example (obv + rev)  of Price 1005 is also attached to highlight and contrast the distinctive portrait like nature of the obverse portrayal of Price 1003 when compared to the more usual Mesembria portrayal of Herakles that exists on other contemporaneous emissions.

My question to Forums: do you think that Mesembria Alexander, Price 1003, bears the portrait of Alexander the great portrayed as Herakles and if so why would this single die (also used to strike Price 1004) be the only known example of such a portrayal, as Price suggests?

Thrace, Mesembria, ca. 200-190 BC, AR Tetradrachm
Obv:   Head of Herakles right, with the features of Alexander the Great (?), wearing a lion skin headdress.
Rev:   ΒΑΣIΛΕΩΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ, Zeus enthroned left, legs draped, confronting eagle held on outstretched right arm and grasping lotus-tipped scepter, crested Corinthian helmet with cheek guards facing right before, ΔIOΣK in exergue.
Ref:   Price 1003; Waggoner “The Propontis HoardRevue Numismatique 1979, 30 (same obverse die). The same reverse die as that of this coin was re-cut by erasing the name ΔIOΣK while adding a monogram beneath the throne and was used to strike Propontis Hoard 31, Price 1005.
One of nine known examples of Price 1003 and the only one from this reverse die, which was recut to Price 1005. Mesembria ca. 200-190 BC.
(31 mm, 16.85 g, 12h).
ex-CNG 42, 29 May 1997, 245.

Price in describing this emission noted that ”The Mektipini and Propontis hoards document the chronology of the chronology of the late third and early second century BC. In particular they pinpoint the dramatic issues of Dioskouridas, with the very fine portrait, apparently of Alexander in the guise of Herakles as an issue of the 190’s BC.” As indicated by Price, this is one of the few Alexandrine issues where there is a reasonable likelihood that the portrayal of Herakles is based on a portrait of Alexander the Great. For whatever reason this portrayal was restricted to a single obverse die that was used to strike all known examples of Price 1003 and 1004. It may have been the precedent for the invocation of Mithradates and Herakles on the short-lived issue of tetradrachms from nearby Odessos under the magistrate Lakon (preceding coin) a century later.

The letters ΔIOΣK in exergue of this coin are an abbreviation of ΔIOΣKOYPIΔA, the name Dioskouridas, a relatively common name in the second century BC. The full name is spelt out in the exergue on an associated emission from the same obverse die, Price 1004.  Die wear evident on this coin (Price 1003) indicates it was struck after Price 1004. This revised sequence is further validated by the fact that the reverse die of this coin was subsequently re-cut by erasing the letters ΔIOΣK while engraving a monogram beneath the throne. In this modified form the reverse die was then used to strike Propontis Hoard 31, Price 1005. This is the only known specimen of Price 1003 on which this reverse die, the precursor to Price 1005, has been identified. Until the identification of the reverse die on this coin, it was only known in its modified re-cut form on Price 1005 where ΔIOΣK is faintly visible in the exerge.

The reverse die of this coin also warrants further mention for its unusual iconography when compared to others in the series. The associated Disokouridas issue, Price 1004, bears Zeus seated on a backless throne, the latter depicted only in an outline form only. On this coin the base of the throne is quite detailed, while a disjoint and improperly scaled back, defined in a linear outline style appears to have been added almost as an afterthought.  The same effect is apparent on the three other reverse dies used to strike Price 1003. The left side offset of the outline of the throne back relative to the throne base is pronounced, while the height of the back rises above the shoulder of Zeus, so as to intersect his head.  This incongruity of the treatment of the back of the throne is a stark contrast to the well styled, detailed engraving of the balance of the reverse yet this style of reverse became the norm on subsequent issues.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
Re: A Most Enigmatic Alexander
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 07:58:18 pm »
I recall a book in which 3 wax busts found in what is believed to be Phillip II's grave at Vergina were alleged to be that of Phillp, his son Alexander and his wife Olympias. Alexander of the wax bust had very pugilistic features - thick brows, flattish nose and broad cheeks. If the wax bust was that of Olympias he clearly favored his mother in appearance. I am sure there is much controversy here. However, the features of Herakles on many of his early coin have that much in common, notably the flat nose and thick brows of the bust.

The features on your coin are beautifully modeled but I don't see any reason to suppose they are that of Alexander.

Regards, Dave

Offline Pharsalos

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 07:27:51 am »
Firstly, congratulations, what an amazing coin. I think it must be one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. Thank you for taking the time to upload the images and information.

The obverse is certainly remarkable. The appearance of ‘Herakles’ is so different to other depictions on Alexander tetradrachms. I think in style it parallels the finest portraiture on coins of the period depicting living Hellenistic rulers. The question I think is not wether it actually is an accurate lifelike depiction of Alexander; what he exactly looked like will likely never be known. The fine Hellenistic portraits on other coins of the era are probably not what the rulers really looked like either. The question is wether the obverse is intended to be a portrait of Alexander or not. I personally think it is. It does not look like a portrait of Herakles. It is not Philip V of Macedon. The next logical personage I think is a portrait of Alexander the Great.

Why only one obverse die exists is a mystery to me. The back of the throne as you say looks like it was added later. Maybe the talented engraver was forced to move on or received a better job elsewhere, and someone else tried to finish it. I can’t imagine anyone else wanting to try to replicate this masterpiece; anything short of an artistic genius and you would look like an amateur. Or perhaps there was some religious or political taboo on depicting the deified Alexander in a more mortal way?

Offline Pharsalos

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 03:41:57 am »
Something fascinating I just noticed; is that a stud earring I see? Maybe this could be some clue to the identity of the bust.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 04:57:18 am »
Dave and Pharsalos - thanks for the comments regarding the portrait quality and the uncertainty that must attach to the identity of of whoever it may be in the guise of Herakles, if it is a portrait at all, rather than simply a uniquely distinctive, never to be repeated style variant.

I've been pondering the numismatic portraits of Alexander. Other than the heavy brow, prominent nose and strong jawline there is little of congruence amongst them, to the point that most if not all can only be described as idealized, probably bearing little  resemblance to the man himself.  

The only possible lifetime numismatic portrait is that of the unique (and controversial) double daric from the Mir Zakah deposit in Bactria (image below), the rather brutal portrayal of which bears little resemblance to what came later under the successors (see Holt's article for details http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/200606/ptolemy.s.alexandrian.postscript.htm and some Forum discussion https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=66305.0). It does bear a passing resemblance to Alexander as portrayed in the Pompeii mosaic, which is believed to have derived from a much earlier artistic work.

Suffice to say the portrayal of Herakles on this Mesembrian Alexanderine tetradrachm stood out for Price, who examined and  cataloged thousands of examples of "Alexanders "as sufficiently different so as to warrant the comment ...with the very fine portrait, apparently of Alexander in the guise of Herakles, but on what basis he made the judgement I guess we'll never know.

All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 05:04:49 am »
Quote from: Pharsalos on November 30, 2014, 03:41:57 am
Something fascinating I just noticed; is that a stud earring I see? Maybe this could be some clue to the identity of the bust.

No its just the antitragus of the ear which was portrayed as a smaller hemispherical lump on the unworn die and through die wear enlarged on this this one of the last coins struck from the die. Refer to the image below of an example of Price 1004 struck from the die in its unworn earliest state.

The circular hemispherical depiction of the antitragus is an artistic style element that is to be found on some other Mesembrian issues and even imitatives of the same ... images below.

It is also to be found on the Alexander double daric noted above!

mstewart6698

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 09:26:27 am »

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 03:27:46 pm »
Don't all Alexander tetradrachms portray Herakles with Alexander's face/features? I think I saw somewhere on the forum in the Superb portrait section a very interesting comparison of his marble bust and a tetradrachm side by side then on top of each other and it was almost exactly the same. Very nice coin.  :)

Only in so far as all portrayals contain bear an ear nose, mouth, eye etc, which of course are common to any other other depiction of the human head!

This Alexander portrait notion was long ago disabused by scholars and is only maintained by some dealers as a means of promoting sales to novices. The easiest way to refute it is to examine a few portrayals of Herakles pre-dating Alexander..... images below.  

The same facial features that are to be found on portrayals of Herakles on Alexander's tetradrachms also are to be found on much earlier coinage pre-dating Alexander, throughout the Greek world, not just Macedon.

In any event, the questions is why Price, the most eminent worker in the field, deemed this particular die (Price 1003-1004) as bearing a portrait of Alexander in the guise of Herakles, not simply a portrayal of Herakles bearing some of the features of Alexander. As far as I know, his comment was unique in his magnum opus, which twenty three years on remains the definitive catalogue of Alexander's coinage.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 04:31:59 pm »
Suffice to say the portrayal of Herakles on this Mesembrian Alexanderine tetradrachm stood out for Price, who examined and  cataloged thousands of examples of "Alexanders," as sufficiently different so as to warrant the comment ...with the very fine portrait, apparently of Alexander in the guise of Herakles, but on what basis he made the judgement I guess we'll never know.

I would suppose Price had no particular basis, but was just guessing.

The portrait looks individualistic, the reverse legend names Alexander, so Price suggests that the obverse might show a portrait of Alexander as Herakles.

If he had known further proof or arguments, he probably would have cited them!

An interesting coin in any case, with the unusual portrait and the reverse die that would be altered!
Curtis Clay

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 05:22:29 pm »
"I would suppose Price had no particular basis, but was just guessing"

My guess is that he compared the features with the portraits of Alexander III on coins struck under Lysimachos....which, I believe, are indisputably those of Alexander III.

I tend to agree with that scholar.
PeteB

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 05:25:28 pm »
Suffice to say the portrayal of Herakles on this Mesembrian Alexanderine tetradrachm stood out for Price, who examined and  cataloged thousands of examples of "Alexanders," as sufficiently different so as to warrant the comment ...with the very fine portrait, apparently of Alexander in the guise of Herakles, but on what basis he made the judgement I guess we'll never know.

I would suppose Price had no particular basis, but was just guessing.

The portrait looks individualistic, the reverse legend names Alexander, so Price suggests that the obverse might show a portrait of Alexander as Herakles.

If he had known further proof or arguments, he probably would have cited them!

An interesting coin in any case, with the unusual portrait and the reverse die that would be altered!

Thanks for the thoughts. I think that you are correct.

Price was very thorough in his documentation. As you rightly point out he would have made the case far more strongly, backed by evidence to support the proposition, were it available to him.

Another notable aspect is the relatively high survival rate of coins from this single obverse die that was used across two emissions (Price 1003 -1004) paired with six reverse dies (table below).

As far as I can determine, twenty seven examples from this obverse die (A1 in table below) survive to this day, including seven (mainly in the ANS) for which I have no image, but descriptions of which indicate they are probably from the same obverse die.

The coins show varying degrees of wear,  indicating that they were in circulation to varying degrees, rather than originating from a single striking/payment that was hoarded immediately after it left the mint.

The unique portrait like character may have led to them being preferentially plucked from circulation and hoarded, thus explaining the high survival rate from a single die.  If so, then then it appears that the coins from this die may have held a distinctive character and attraction in the past, just as they do today!

mstewart6698

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 05:51:34 pm »

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 07:54:33 pm »
I wonder then, if the statue was based off of the coins themselves and not Alexander? .....
..... I have also seen coins pre-dating his birth that have the same Herakles with a beard.

Old Herakles and Young Herakles.... with beard and sans beard.... all portrayals are known and all pre-date Alexander III the Great and his coinage.  

Herakles, like all gods he came in many guises and his numismatic portrayal (characteristics) had its origins in the late Archaic and Classical eras, well before ATG came on the scene marking the onset of the Hellenestic age in which numismatic portraiture reached its zenith!

The fact remains that the beardless young Herakles in lion skin headdress portrayal pre-dates the birth of Alexander, yet it has the same broad facial characteristics, or features (strong jaw line, wide eye and prominent nose) that are to be found on the dominant silver coinage of his reign, as well as that post-dating his death. So to suggest, as many novice collectors do, that these features in some way are a portrayal of Alexander is a nonsense, a rare point on which all scholars agree.

Pyrgoteles is oft cited as Alexander's artist in residence, from whose hand his original portrait sculptures are sometimes said to have originated leading to subsequent derivatives in later times, but particularly the Roman era. Yet like so much "urban myth" about Alexander there is no evidence for this assertion, just as there is no undisputed, unequivocally authentic lifetime sculpture or portrayal of the man, although it has been suggested, (again without evidence) that Pyrgoteles may have been responsible for the Alexander with “horns of Amun” images on the Lysimachus coinage and the Ashmolean quartz ringstone of the same type..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrgoteles  

Yet even the portrait on these Lysimachii is enormously varied and idealized, to the point that there is little confidence that it represents a reliable portrait of the individual, more likely a widely understood (at the time) representation of a deified  Alexander rather than a portrait.... just as the relatively youthful visage in the lion skin headdress represented another god Herakles, who without co-incidence was the patron god of the Argeads (i.e. Alexanders family) and from whom Alexander traced his origins via Temenos the mythical great great grandson of Herakles  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argead_dynasty

An unequivocal, true to life Alexander portrait remains as elusive as ever. One thing we can postulate quite reasonably is that as a descendent of Herakles while seeking to emulate, or even exceed the youthful exploits of the latter, Alexander III the Great who himself unusually for a ruler and leader of the time went clean shaven (thus establishing the Hellenistic precedent) was predisposed to the pre-existing youthful portrayal of Herakles sans beard and this therefore became the model for his silver coinage. This strengthened his association with the mythical Herakles and was a major message encoded in his coinage.

mstewart6698

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 08:41:58 pm »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity