Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nice CONSTANTINIANA DAFNE OTD  (Read 1006 times)

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Nice CONSTANTINIANA DAFNE OTD
« on: November 24, 2014, 12:43:57 pm »
Nice CONSTANTINIANA DAFNE OTD

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-114935

Constantinus-I. (306-309 A.D. Caesar, 309-910 A.D. Filius Augustorum, 307-337 A.D. Augustus), Constantinopolis, RIC VII 035, AE-3 Follis, Z/-//CONS, CONSTANTINIANA DAFNE, R1!, #1
avers:- CONSTANTI-NVS-MAX-AVG, 1,E8, Rosette-diademed draped, cuirassed bust right.
revers:- CONSTANTINIA-NA-DAFNE, Z left field, seated left, holding branch and palm; seated captive to left, trophy in background.
exergue: Z/-//CONS, diameter: 19-20mm, weight: 2,16g, axis: 0h,
mint: Constantinopolis, date: 328A.D., ref: RIC-VII-35, p-574, 5th off., R1!

Best regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Nice CONSTANTINIANA DAFNE OTD
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 01:10:01 pm »
Wonderful!
PeteB

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 01:15:23 pm »
Wonderful!
PeteB

Thank you PeteB :)
 Q.
My Gallery

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 05:29:47 pm »
Super coin! A while back I picked up a very informational booklet from the FORVM store, "Constantine's Dafne Coinage at Constantinople," by R. S. Speck and Stephen M. Huston (1992). The analysis of the symbolism is quite interesting.

"The coinage of this mint with CONSTANTINIANA DAFNE reverse was produced as the exclusive type for Constantine at this mint for more than the last two years before the city's dedication, but it was never produced elsewhere. Its special significance was admirably demonstrated by McGregor (SAN 1984) in his article Constantiniana Dafne - a different point of view. McGregor set out the religious significance of this reverse type - portraying Constantine as Dafne, turning away from the symbols of the pagan religion (Apollo and Sol) toward the palm, the symbol of Christianity." (Speck, Huston)

Here is my example...

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5199&pos=6

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 01:28:31 am »
Super coin! A while back I picked up a very informational booklet from the FORVM store, "Constantine's Dafne Coinage at Constantinople," by R. S. Speck and Stephen M. Huston (1992). The analysis of the symbolism is quite interesting.

"The coinage of this mint with CONSTANTINIANA DAFNE reverse was produced as the exclusive type for Constantine at this mint for more than the last two years before the city's dedication, but it was never produced elsewhere. Its special significance was admirably demonstrated by McGregor (SAN 1984) in his article Constantiniana Dafne - a different point of view. McGregor set out the religious significance of this reverse type - portraying Constantine as Dafne, turning away from the symbols of the pagan religion (Apollo and Sol) toward the palm, the symbol of Christianity." (Speck, Huston)

Here is my example...

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5199&pos=6

Hi John Anthony,

Thank you very much for the interesting historical quote,
The Dafne coins are one of my favourit in the Constantinian area :)

I saw your coin also are very nice  +++

Best regards
 Q.
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity