Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: unknown provincial with confronting busts  (Read 655 times)

Offline clueless

• Caesar
unknown provincial with confronting busts
« on: November 22, 2014, 12:58:00 pm »
Here's something that has been puzzling me for some time and I haven't been able to find it using the usual online resources.

obv: confronting male busts, the right one seems to be somewhat younger, beneath the busts an eagle with spread wings.

rev: courtyard flanked by towers on the right and left, star with 8 points above crescent above courtyard

weight: 5.1 g
diameter: 20 mm

The coin is in such condition that I can't make out the legends and  it is somewhat difficult to take pictures that show the available detail properly.

The confronted busts caused me to begin with considering Caracalla and Geta, but might as well be Macrinus and his son, depends on if one wants to interpret that the left bust has got a slight beard.

The eagle with spread wings beneath the busts makes me think of the eastern part of the empire.

Any suggestions appreciated !

Clueless

maybe soon somewhat less clueless  ;D

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: unknown provincial with confronting busts
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 01:38:33 pm »
Dear clueless and Board,

Caracalla and Geta from Carrhae seems like a reasonable match to me.  Here is a specimen in the BNF database struck with a very similar (if not the same) obverse die, but featuring a different reverse type:  

http://catalogue.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb41789791q/PUBLIC

Your altar reverse, although common on Antonine period coinage, seem to have been rarely used at best during the Severans.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline clueless

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 06:57:12 am »
Thank you for the information, Mark.

Yes, I think you pinpointed the origin of the coin correctly.

Cheers,

Clueless

Offline clueless

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 02:11:53 pm »
As with wine and cheese, coins do improve with time ;)

I have been trying to find this particular piece in the litterature available to me, but I haven't found this particular combination of obverse and reverse.

Mionnet, BMC etc doesn't list this particular combination.

Is there anyone who has the possibility to check for example the relevant volume of Lindgren ?

Any help appreciated,

Clueless

All coins are guaranteed for eternity