Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 16 mm Copper Norman/Byzantine Help Identification  (Read 302 times)

jaxon.burke

16 mm Copper Norman/Byzantine Help Identification
« on: November 22, 2014, 06:33:44 am »
I recently bought this at a flea market in Homburg, mainly because I was so fascinated by it's design. The style almost looks like some Norman pfennigs I have seen in the past, but it bears enough resemblance to a few Byzantine coins that I can't be certain. If anyone has any information and can shed any light on it's origins, I would be very appreciative. Thanks!

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: 16 mm Copper Norman/Byzantine Help Identification
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 07:47:09 am »
Jf you will crop these pictures the coin will appear larger and easier to see.  The picture are rather small and hard to see now.

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 10:21:41 am »
Hi , Welcome to FORUM !
Picture to small , but I think this is a Constans II ( 641 - 668 ) , Half follis , Carthage mint .
SB 1059 or SB 1060.
Constants bust facing .
C-T-X-X in the four corners of a cross.
Regards ,
Vlad  .

jaxon.burke

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 02:33:26 pm »
Sorry about the picture size, didn't think it would turn out like that. But thanks for the help! I definitely see a resemblance and it sheds light on a coin that was a complete mystery to me.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity