Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Rare follis (2)  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
Rare follis (2)
« on: November 21, 2014, 08:59:34 pm »
Here's coin puzzle :
24mm x 21mm / 4.88gr
Very rare .
 :) Have fun !
Best regards ,
Vlad .

Offline Strategos

• Consul
    • Labarum.info
Re: Rare follis (2)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 02:14:47 am »
Hi, Vlad !
That you bought it :) ?
I watched him, but it is very expensive for me.
This Follis Gabras of Trebizond
DOC IV pl. XXV, 9

Bendall S. - The Mint of Trebizond under Alexius I and the Gabrases №9

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 09:12:54 am »
Hi Виталий ,
You're right ! This is a follis of Duke of Trebizond Constantin Gabras 1126-1140. Yes , it's my now . It's a second time I seen  this coin for sale in last fifteen years . Another one , was sold on the german auction last summer.

24 mm. ; 2.25 gr.

Regards,
Vlad.

Offline Strategos

• Consul
    • Labarum.info
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 11:00:45 am »
Good buy, congratulations!
I still have a photo of the coin, but I can not remember where I got it from.

Offline Strategos

• Consul
    • Labarum.info
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 11:17:39 am »
I was lucky too :)
I bought a good Trebizond Gabras recently.

28 mm
3.84 gr

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 11:23:14 am »
Both of those coins are very cool. I have never seen either of them besides DOC pics. The second coin has similarities to some earlier tetartera so I have always kept my eyes out for it. Very cool, congrats to you both.

Simon
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 12:30:30 pm »
Quote from: Strategos on November 23, 2014, 11:17:39 am
I was lucky too :)
I bought a good Trebizond Gabras recently.

28 mm
3.84 gr

Congratulations!

Both of those coins are very cool. I have never seen either of them besides DOC pics. The second coin has similarities to some earlier tetartera so I have always kept my eyes out for it. Very cool, congrats to you both.

Simon
Here is another one https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=91502.0
Regards ,
Vlad .

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 01:47:15 am »
It's mine ;)
Nassif

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 02:32:55 am »
I don't know that there is any real (find) evidence as to the actual source of these types.
It has been suggested that they might be crusader era types from Antioch.

Ross G.

Offline Strategos

• Consul
    • Labarum.info
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 02:48:18 am »
I bought my follis in this kit.
Identify the region of origin difficult.
The seller does not know the origin of the coins.

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 12:23:29 pm »
The seller reply me that the coin was most likely , been found in the " lands of present day Bulgaria " .

I don't know that there is any real (find) evidence as to the actual source of these types.
It has been suggested that they might be crusader era types from Antioch.

Ross G.
Indeed . Not much info . Only evidence that I know is Bendall article (1977) . And the "An anonymous copper coin re-attributed from Trebizond to Syria" by Wolfgang Schulze (2008) , where says that one specimen of type 9 was purchased in the old city of Jerusalem and some was found in Durrës (Albania) together with crusader era types from Antioch.
Regards ,
Vlad .

Offline Strategos

• Consul
    • Labarum.info
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 03:50:32 pm »
It's mine ;)
Nassif
Dear Nassif,
Where did region is your coin?

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 01:34:48 am »
I have this coin since few years,i guess it came from huge private collection from Homs[emesa] north Syria
Regards
Nassif

Offline Strategos

• Consul
    • Labarum.info
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 02:30:52 am »
Thank you, Nassif.
As I recall, there was a lot of coins Crusaders.

Offline B*Numis

• Praetorian
    • B-numis
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 02:28:39 am »
Congratulations for this bendall type+++ +++ +++

one of mine, I published in the BCEN (Belgium)
Bendal 13a

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-106509
Besançon Numismatique
www.bnumis.com

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 10:59:36 am »
I would like to share with you this very rare Anastasius follis:
Byzantine Empire- ANASTASIUS. 491-518 AD. Æ Follis (27mm, 16,8 gm,7h). Constantinople mint. Struck 512-517 AD. D N ANASTA-SIVS PP AV[G], diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right.R / Constantinopolis enthroned facing,head  left,holding glog.crucig in right hand.Large M below right hand and star behind.,in ex:CON[E?]. Several crack with light corrosion and thick heavy black patina-Some red & green deposits ;DO:-,BMC:-,T:-,R:-,BN:,p 25[British Museum],SB:22A, …MIB 19[2 coins known only in museums]-Very important coin of great rarity,never in sales...
Last letters in Rev.are in double contour[good sign of strucking i guess...]
I posted also the photo of MIB[i guess] kindly provided by Forum Member-Weight:16,79g
Regards
Nassif

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 07:47:27 am »
I would like to share with you this very rare Follis:
Byzantine Empire- Justinian I. 527-565. Æ Follis (25mm, 4,6 g, 6h). Uncertain mint (Salona?). Struck circa 562-565. Helmeted facing bust, holding globus cruciger and shield; cross to right / Large M; cross above. DOC I 358; SB 329. aVF, red-brown patina.Very  Rare.

"The correct attribution of this unsigned series of bronzes remains uncertain, but numerous examples have been found in the environs of Salona in Illyria, an important Byzantine fort and staging area for military activity in Italy. Both Belisarius and Narses used it as a headquarters in their campaigns against the Ostrogothic king Baduila (Totila, 541-552), who conducted a brilliant guerrilla campaign against superior Imperial forces until his death at Busta Gallorum in 552.
There is some debate about the date of coinage at this mint. Grierson supports a date in the 540s-550s, at the height of the Italian war, while Hahn in MIBE dates it later, to 562-565, based on similar styles of bust found on dated Ravenna mint issues from late in Justinian's reign. In any case, the reduced size, simplified design, and scarcity of these bronzes speaks of a short-lived issue of limited circulation.
"
Enjoyyy
Regards
Nassif

Offline Strategos

• Consul
    • Labarum.info
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 06:07:29 am »
One more "Gabras" coin was sold recently.
S.1902 Class L anonymous Follis.
Bendall 8
3,35 g / 23 mm
EUR 253.00

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 10:49:29 am »
Hi All;
Talking about Duke of Gabras,i would like to share this coin with you:
Byzantine Empire or Crusader?unpublished-Theodore Gabras(?). Duke of Trebizond, circa late 1080s-1126??or Follaro. Salerno??AE 23mm;W:2,5g-12h-Obverse: Christ bust facing, wearing nimbus cruciger, pallium and colobium, raising right in benediction, gospels in left; Reverse/ Latin cross with X at center, globule and two pellets at each extremity,and 8 pointed star in each angle-Thin with special irregular shape suggesting Follaro. Salerno? Or more Crusader than Byzantine coin[Latin emperors of Constantinople?]-Superb brownish patina-VF- unpublished?Unique?Bendall, “The mint of Trebizond under Alexius I and the Gabrades,” NC 1977??
"While apparently unpublished, the thin, clipped fabric (struck first, then cut down into polygonal form) would suggest its relation to issues of the Gabrades in Trebizond."
All the bests
Nassif

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2015, 09:05:39 pm »
Another Gabras , Bendall 9 .  Size and weight unknown .

All coins are guaranteed for eternity