Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek AR 2  (Read 388 times)

Offline solon

• Caesar
Greek AR 2
« on: November 18, 2014, 08:43:49 am »
Dear Board,
AR,  0.90g.
The obverse of this coin is also very similar to the bronze coinage of Larissa Phrikonis and also includes below the bull either  :Greek_Lambda:  or   :Greek_Alpha: and  :Greek_Iota: .
If it is  :Greek_Lambda: it can be a coin of Larisa also because of the style of the bull.
If it is   :Greek_Alpha: and  :Greek_Iota: it can belong to Aigai in Aiolis also.
But in either case the coin seems to be unpublished!
Where should we attach this coin?
Thank you.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Greek AR 2
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 09:26:40 am »
smaler, no A or I, no reference given, but very similar:

http://www.asiaminorcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=8788

The star looks different from the usual Magnesia ad Maeandrum issues. Possibly a wrong attribution ??

Offline solon

• Caesar
Re: Greek AR 2
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 12:53:26 pm »
Thank you shanxi.
So, the conclusion is Magnesia or Aigai or Larisa Phrikonis?
May I have your vote please?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity