Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How to clean this mineralized dirt ?  (Read 934 times)

Offline Skolot

• Consul
How to clean this mineralized dirt ?
« on: November 17, 2014, 04:46:52 pm »
Greetings. This follis has very strong mineralized dirt on it. How should I clean it ? Is it possible to dissolve or soften these "stone" stains without harm to the coin ? Soaking for a month in olive oil didn't help at all.

Offline Skolot

• Consul
Re: How to clean this mineralized dirt ?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 04:49:11 pm »

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 03:55:05 am »
It is hard to tell if that is mineralized dirt or the red encrustations that are a by-product of bronze disease.  I can't be certain from the photo but maybe others can.

The problem is that if it is hard dirt then there might be a nice surface underneath but if it is the dreaded red crust then there might be horrible pitting underneath.

I would try mechanical cleaning with a scalpel or exact-o knife.  I would start with stuff somewhere around the rim.  That way if it is the red crust and pitting is revealed you can stop and leave the rest of the coin as is.  But if it is hard dirt and you can pop it off you can continue.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Skolot

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 05:01:28 am »
Thank you, Shawn !
I tried to clean some stains mecanically. It seem to be a very strong dirt, like limestone. Coin's surface under the dirt is dark red, but strong, without pits.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity