Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A gouge in Severus Alexander denarius  (Read 259 times)

Offline theemptytrunk

• Praetorian
A gouge in Severus Alexander denarius
« on: November 16, 2014, 05:26:59 pm »
Hello, all

I was wondering how this gouge happened on Severus Alexander's face.
Bad silver? A bad strike?

Thank you,

Jason

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: A gouge in Severus Alexander denarius
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 07:37:37 pm »
Weight?  It is best to take th coin out of the holder when photographing.  Otherwise we get a small photos with the plastic having reflected a lot of the light.  I coin is certainly much corroded.  It maybe that there was a bit of the alloy that was not uniform--frequently the case with the debased silver of this period--and that section was more subject to corrosion and simply melted away when the coin was cleaned.

Offline theemptytrunk

• Praetorian
Re: A gouge in Severus Alexander denarius
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 07:50:20 pm »
Ooops!

2.2 grams
18 m.m.

Weighs 4 grams with the coin holder.

Your right. I should have taken it out of the holder.
Thank you for your response.

Jason

All coins are guaranteed for eternity