Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sicilian AE17  (Read 319 times)

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Sicilian AE17
« on: November 16, 2014, 07:33:44 am »
Hi all, I have this AE17, which is most likely Sicilian but beyond that, I have no idea. There seems to be some sort of legend or monogram, which could give a clue but I can't decipher it.

17 mm, 4.25 g

Thanks for looking

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline nummis durensis

• Praetorian
    • perinawa
Re: Sicilian AE17
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 08:20:08 am »
CNG shows a coin of Syracuse, struck under Agathokles. Revers: Pegasus flying left, Monogram above... (No. 1488 CNG Handbook of Coins of Sicily)

::)

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 09:49:15 am »
Andreas, what part of the coin are you enlarging?  I'm assuming above the wing.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 09:55:52 am »
Here is Joe's example of HGC 1486, which as a type might have a variety of magistrate names above or below (A, AG, D, SW):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?radd=1&vpar=18&zpg=78819

HGC 1487 has SYPAKOSIWN on obverse, but only SW above and A below on reverse, , otherwise same types.  That's CNS II, no.87.

All of the above are in the range of 15-18mm, 2.66-6.57g, including the type nummis durensis posted.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 01:03:12 pm »
Yes, it's the part above the wing. I saw some that were assigned to Panormos and looked close to mine on the obverse with the short hair and dolphin to the right of the bust.

http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=panormos+pegas*+bronze&category=1-2&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&images=1&currency=usd&order=0&company=

Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity