Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mussidius Longus denarius: A Deity Worthy of Respect  (Read 5781 times)

Offline TIF

• Consul
Mussidius Longus denarius: A Deity Worthy of Respect
« on: November 12, 2014, 05:57:20 am »
Those wacky Romans... they deified and worshipped everything. This one, however, deserves your devotion: Venus Cloacina, Goddess of the Great Sewer.

Yep. That's right. A Sewer Goddess.

Before you poo-poo Her importance, consider this: Rome's Cloaca Maxima (Great Sewer) was in large part responsible for the health and prosperity of Rome. Waste-related bacterial burdens were reduced as the sewage flowed away from the city instead of pooling in populated areas. The sewer also drained the marshlands, greatly diminishing the breeding grounds for disease vectors such as mosquitos.

Moneyer issues of Imperatorial Rome. L. Mussidius Longus, 42 BC. AR denarius, Rome mint. Radiate and draped bust of Sol facing slightly right / Shrine of Venus Cloacina: Circular platform surmounted by two statues of the goddess, each resting right hand on cippus, the platform inscribed CLOAC and ornamented with trellis-pattern balustrade, flight of steps and portico on left; L • MVSSIDIVS • LONGVS around above. Crawford 494/43b; CRI 189a; Sydenham 1094a; Kestner 3758-9 var. (CLOACIN); BMCRR Rome 4252-4; Mussidia 7a. Acquired from a dealer at the 2014 ANA World's Fair of Money, Chicago.

Moneyer issues of Imperatorial Rome. L. Mussidius Longus. 42 BCE. AR denarius, Rome mint. Diademed and veiled head of Concordia right; CONCORDIA upwards behind / Shrine of Venus Cloacina: Circular platform surmounted by two statues of the goddess, each resting right hand on cippus, the platform inscribed CLOACIN and ornamented with trellis-pattern balustrade, flight of steps and portico on left; L • MVSSIDIVS • LONGVS around above. Crawford 494/42a; CRI 188; Sydenham 1093; Kestner 3753-4; BMCRR Rome 4242-3; Mussidia 6b. Acquired from a dealer at the 2014 ANA World's Fair of Money, Chicago.

History of Cloaca Maxima

The central lowlands and valleys in Rome were uninhabitable until the 7th-6th century BCE when the Tarquin kings began constructing a large system for draining the marshes. Initially an uncovered canal, it followed the natural runoff channels and emptied into the Tiber river. Before Cloaca Maxima, the land on which the Forum was built was uninhabitable.

Outlet of Cloaca Maxima.  Picture from  ancientrome.ru

By the 2nd century BCE the Great Sewer was fully covered; expansion of its reach was continual. At Rome’s peak, it is estimated that the sewer conveyed 100,000 pounds of human excrement daily.

While most homes were not directly connected to the sewer, waste thrown in the street eventually washed into the drain.

The public water systems were integrated. Waste water from the public baths flowed under the public latrines and into the sewer. Between that and rain, the latrines were effectively and continuously flushed.

A Roman latrine in Ostia. Water ran under the toilets, constantly flushing the waste. See the channel in the floor? That also had running water. The holes in front? That's where you insert your wiping stick. Lacking Charmin, a sponge stick (spongia) was used and re-used. After doing your business, while still seated you insert the wet sponge stick through the hole, wipe, and then rinse the sponge in the water trough, leaving it in the trough for the next person.  Image from   jackthreads.com

Remnants of Cloaca Maxima exist to this day, incorporated into the modern sewer system. The Roman Empire didn't survive but its sewer did.

Side note: Throwing waste into the street was acceptable in ancient times. Live on an upper floor? Too much trouble to move your movements to the street? Too poor to pay a stercorarius to pick up your poop? No problem. Just toss it out the window. Be sure that it doesn’t land on anyone though. Rome had a law against that, Dejecti Effusive Actio. Oddly, it only applied to daylight hours. If your waste landed on someone, the personal injury attorneys were ready and waiting. The fine varied according to extent of damages.  A fatal injury was worth 50 aurei.

Sanitation, health, and epidemiology

They may not have understood the link between sewage and standing water and disease, but Romans did know that marshlands were dangerous places. They attributed this to bad air. In fact, malaria means "bad air". With the markedly improved drainage of Rome, malaria rates apparently decreased along with other diseases supported standing water and sewage.

Rome's superior public water works did not eradicate disease but the effect was mitigating. Consider Ostia Antica, a city once similar to Rome. The once-thriving port city did not have a sophisticated drainage system. The port silted over, standing water abounded, and it is theorized that rampant malaria played a significant role in the city's demise.

The Pontine region with its marshes suffered a fate similar to Ostia Antica. The population collapsed around the turn of the millennium, likely due to infectious diseases such as malaria.

By contrast, although residents of the city of Rome certainly contracted many diseases, the population as a whole survived and thrived.

Venus Cloacina

In the six century BCE, a statue of a woman was supposedly found in the Cloaca Maxima. She became known as the Goddess Cloacina; a deity that likely had its origin in the mythology of the Etruscans. Her name stems from either the Latin verb cloare or cluere, meaning "to wash, clean or purify" or from the Latin word cloaca, meaning “sewer”. How and when she became associated with Venus is unknown.

Recognizing the importance of their sewer system, even without understanding the infectious disease mitigation it provided, a shrine to the goddess was built in the Forum: the Sacrum Cloacina. I'm not sure when it was constructed. The details of the shrine are known only from these two denarii of Mussidius Longus.

Sketch of Sacrum Cloacina, Christian Hülsen (1906).  From   wikipedia

Today its foundation can be seen in front of Basilica Aemilia (marked on   this map).

The foundation of Sacrum Cloacina today.  Image from   viaggidiunapecorainitalia.wordpress.com

Yes, I think this goddess is a keeper.

And now please excuse me.  It's time for my morning devotional.

Sources and additional reading:

Article about the Cloaca Maxima from Duke.edu  
Aqueducts and Wastewater Systems of Rome, from umass.edu
Ancient public baths and latrines
What the Romans Used for Toilet Paper, by Caroline Lawrence for Wonders & Marvels
Dejecti Effusive Actio, from uchicago.edu
Cloacina:  Goddess of the Sewers, by Jon C. Schladwiler, Historian
About the Sacrum Cloacinae, from uchicago.edu  

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Re: Mussidius Longus denarius: A Deity Worthy of Respect
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 07:36:31 am »
Great thread Tiff! I love the picture over the toilet!

Charlie

P.S. Perfect reading material for your A.M. B.M.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 07:42:32 am »
+++ +++

Marvellous coins too.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 08:04:31 am »
Brilliant!

Online Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 11:05:55 am »
Nice article and beautiful pics! You can compare it with my article at https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=25089.150 (a bit lower). I think it is a fine supplement.

Best regards

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 12:19:15 pm »
Nice write-up.  I prayed to that porcelain goddess many times in college, though I never knew her name!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 12:32:15 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on November 12, 2014, 12:19:15 pm
Nice write-up.  I prayed to that porcelain goddess many times in college, though I never knew her name!

;D

(unsure if everyone will get the joke however, it might be specifically anglo-Saxon).

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 01:31:11 pm »

;D

(unsure if everyone will get the joke however, it might be specifically anglo-Saxon).

LOL  The followers of Bacchus will understand!
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 01:38:42 pm »
"Oh God"

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 05:07:06 pm »
It's something you usually grow out of.  ;D
Andreas Reich

Offline ickster

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 12:23:14 am »
A most excellent write up! Educational and humorous.  ;D

Many thanks.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 03:38:19 pm »
Hi TIF,

Thanks for the excellent story!

I actually have an example of the second coin, with the profile head. Before reading this thread, I never fully understood the story behind it.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 03:42:45 pm »

;D

Hi folks,

I get the joke. I heard that phrase ("Praying to the porcelain god/goddess") many times back in the 1980s, when I was in high school and college. :)

And yes, areich, most people usually outgrow that. In my particular case, there was nothing to outgrow because I never did it in the first place. I never drank alcohol in my life.

Meepzorp

Offline Gilgamesh

• Consul
  • I came, I saw, I'm still looking.
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 06:30:08 pm »
However, there was one very long term problem with the Cloaca Maxima. It would back up and flood the forum when the Tiber flooded. Only fixed in modern times when the present Tiber embankment was built.
Every day I know less and less about more and more. Soon I expect to know nothing about everything.

Offline Blindado

• Consul
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 07:58:25 pm »
I have a much less impressive version of the first type (https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-106539). What struck me ( ;D) was the thought that the obverse foreshadowed Christian iconography. It's odd that Sol was paired with another place the sun don't shine.

Offline TIF

• Consul
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 10:52:52 am »
:D  That is indeed quite an funny pairing.

Offline manpace

• Caesar
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 12:38:48 am »
Magnificent Romans.  I did not know of this wonderful coin until I read this wonderful thread.

For the most part our generation has never come to grips with the difficulty of drainage in premodern urban settings.  Water and filth had to go SOMEWHERE, and if your street and home were surrounded by other homes and streets, without a sewer, runoff from your place would ruin someone else's day.

I am reminded of a very interesting passage in Rolfe's Shakespeare the Boy, that described a drainage dilemma in Stratford on Avon, on the very street where lived Shakespeare himself.

From the book:

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=loc.ark:/13960/t6sx7094h;view=1up;seq=57

"Chapel Lane, which bounded one side of the New Place estate, was one of the filthiest thoroughfares of the town...a streamlet ran through it, the water of which turned a mill, alluded to in town records of that period.  This water-course gradually became "a shallow fetid ditch, an open receptacle of sewage and filth".  It continued to be a nuisance for at least two centuries more...Thomas Cox, a carpenter, who lived in Chapel Lane from 1774, remembered that the open gutter..."was a wide dirty ditch choked with mud, that all the filth of that part of the town ran into it, that it was four or five feet wide and more than a foot deep, and that the road sloped down to the ditch."

Below is a map depicting the situation.  Star is the Poet's home, arrows show the runoff and makes the dilemma clear.  It's the middle of town, and the land formed a drainage basin that had to go somewhere.  This modest little "streamlet" defeated the city fathers and urban planners for ten generations or more, because the topography of Stratford and gravity's effect on liquids.

Nowadays millions of people have walked to Shakespeare's house without soiling their shoes because of sewers running silently underfoot.

Thanks for the terrific post.

Offline TIF

• Consul
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 07:16:49 pm »
Happy day... my upgraded Concordia Cloacina  arrived and it was less expensive than the first one I bought at WFOM last year :)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 05:31:11 am »
PLEASE UPLOAD PHOTOS AND DO NOT LINK TO PHOTO BUCKET, IMAGE SHACK, OR OTHER EXTERNAL IMAGES. 

Look above to see why!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline TIF

• Consul
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 06:22:20 am »
YeeeeIKES!  Sorry about that.  On most forums I post using links to images on my website or I simply copy the whole post from another forum.  I recall having problems uploading and formatting images to Forvm's discussion board; maybe that's what happened here because I normally don't use Photo bucket.

I'll restore all of the images using links to pictures on my website.

If you come across other instances of this, please let me know and I'll fix them.  A couple of days ago I received notice of deletion of several of my threads-- maybe this was why?  There was nothing offensive or rule-breaking about those threads so I was baffled.  Maybe this solves the mystery.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 06:40:05 am »
Thanks for fixing the pics. It would be even better if you uploaded them to the discussion board, NumisWiki or the Members' Gallery so they are hosted on Forum. All outside links eventually become a broken link.

Yes, I am deleting thousands of threads that are destroyed by missing due to broken external links. You can check yours by going to your profile and looking at your prior posts.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline TIF

• Consul
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2017, 06:47:04 am »
Hmm.  I didn't know I could upload images directly to a discussion thread!  At a glance, I don't see how that is done but I'll will search the forum for information about how to do that since that would be my preferred method.  Next time I'll upload coin images to my Forvm gallery.  I stopped because it was time-consuming to upload them here when I'm also uploading them to my website, but your point about broken links is well-taken. 

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 03:09:53 am »
Hi folks,

Here is my example (scroll down, last coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rr_pt40.htm

Meepzorp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 06:19:52 am »
I made the first post into a Venus Cloacina NumisWiki page. Thanks TIF.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline TIF

• Consul
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 06:48:04 am »
I'm flattered!  Thank you.  Putting together the post was a lot of fun.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity