Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Domitian of the day  (Read 683 times)

Offline traveler

• Consul
Domitian of the day
« on: November 10, 2014, 08:55:15 pm »
Domitian denarius, RIC II 680, perhaps the first official coin minted for him. Interestingly the die axis is 2h, which I haven't seen for other denarii of the Flavian era.

Obverse legend should read CAES AVG F DOMIT COS III, but the CAES and III are completely missing. Possibly due to filled dies? Significant wear on the obverse, but traces of the beard are still visible.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: Domitian of the day
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 09:14:24 pm »
This should read COS II (Domitian became COS III in 75). The missing legends can be explained by a combination of wear and a weak strike.

Nicely toned example!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 09:56:46 pm »
Very interesting portrait.  Looks like he had a rough night!

Offline traveler

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 11:14:06 pm »
Thanks for the comments David and Jay. I think it's more likely the CAES and II are missing due to a weak strike, as the flan is just smooth where the inscription should be. Or perhaps the toning has hidden traces of the letters.

I'm a little disappointed to see no clear indication of the "sceptre with human head" which RIC II 1962 mentioned.  :) If anyone has a better example I'd love to see it.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 12:02:08 am »

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 03:43:56 am »
Hello traveler,

congrats on a nicely toned coin.

By the way RIC 680 can not be considered under any circumstances the first official coin minted in the name of Domitian.

Actually it was preceded in 72 A.D. by the issue of asses with legend COS DES II, and in 73 A.D. by the issue of aurei and denarii with the  counterclockwise obverse legend (here is my RIC 439: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-102407).

As for the shape of the sceptre, it can be hardly be appreciated even in EF examples. Try this one: http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=453839

Kind regards

Alberto

All coins are guaranteed for eternity