Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: "The Eagles of Alexandria"  (Read 814 times)

Offline David Atherton

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
"The Eagles of Alexandria"
« on: October 30, 2014, 07:38:40 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT3p9cM4QWQ

Experimental archaeology is employed to help figure out ancient minting practices. Michel Amandry makes an appearance too.

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
Re: "The Eagles of Alexandria"
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 10:04:09 am »
A very illuminating video. I did  not know that bronzes were struck cold. No wonder dies wore out at a great rate.

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Re: "The Eagles of Alexandria"
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 03:05:42 am »
Thanks for the post David, both very enlightening and mystifying.

What about the Ptolemaic “indentation” at the centre of their bronzes?  At 10.54 on the video they show ancient coin moulds from an archaeological site. These clearly show a small hole in the centre, which confuses me further because that would produce a raised “pimple” shape in the centre of the coin. The opposite of the indentation we actually see.

Best Regards,
Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity