Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Postumus on Pius sestertius  (Read 504 times)

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Postumus on Pius sestertius
« on: October 29, 2014, 09:45:45 pm »
This galley reverse Postumus double sestertius was overstruck on a Antoninus Pius but I can't make out the original reverse type.  The obverse has part of the Pius legend (VSAVGP) at left but I can not explain either the large letters at lower left (SVDV???) or what appears to be  a T between the V and S at the right.  Any help understanding the letters on this mess would be appreciated. 

Offline Charles S

• Consul
Re: Postumus on Pius sestertius
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 07:25:15 am »
I have been looking at the legends again and again, but I cannot make anything out of it.  There is not any obverse legend with SVDV anywhere so it must be something else.  Also I have difficulty seeing that the obverse was a portrait of Antoninus Pius.  Is it visible at all, or is it based on the part pf the legend that reads VSAVGP ?
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 09:49:44 am »
The profile shows just right of Postumus' forehead while the back of the head is between the rays of the crown.  The Pius portrait was larger than that of Postumus.

Offline Charles S

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 10:30:09 am »
Yes, I see the head now.  I can find only two possibilities for the "S" (the letter which is very clearly visible) on that part of the coin:
- SARA...  or "VSPP...", I cannot find any other possibility.  SARA[ntoninvs] would be preceded by IMP T AELIVS CAE which does not match with VSAVGP; the second would be preceded by [antonin]VS AVG P which matches.  However, I did not find any example where PIVS is cut as PIV-S instead of PI-VS, but I cannot see any sign of the V , so I fear I cannot solve this puzzle.
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 01:46:30 pm »
Thanks for the effort.  I was toying with it being a triple overstrike but those large letters at the lower left and the whole under reverse just make no sense ---- yet.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity