Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Un-dated Wladislaus II Denar K-H mint mark  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Edward D

• Caesar
Un-dated Wladislaus II Denar K-H mint mark
« on: October 27, 2014, 08:22:22 pm »
 I was wondering if this is a variation of Huszar 807.  I don't have anything that shows this type of eagle. Thank you.

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Un-dated Wladislaus II Denar K-H mint mark
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 10:40:19 pm »
Edward,

The coin is a Huszar 807.  Rethy noted that the size of the eagles on this type vary, and my observations reflect that there is greater variance with respect to both the size and the style of the eagles on those with the style of Madonna on your coin (there are 3 different style Madonnas).  I once wrote an article about these coins with photos of 3 styles of eagle

Stkp 

Offline Edward D

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 11:11:11 pm »
 Thank you,Stkp.

Offline Dee

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 08:33:26 am »
I'm sorry for posting in an old topic, but it's related...

Stkp, is there a way I could find your article you're referring to? Is it published? If you feel uncomfortable sharing this information publicly, I will gladly contact you via PM.

Edward D, I've got dozens of these various "hybrid" examples in the hoard I'm researching, it's interesting to see there are more of these than one would expect to find.

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 10:30:40 pm »
Dee,

It is never too late to open an old post!

I wrote a series of five articles on undated Madonna denars that were published in the Celator almost 10 years ago.  To the best of my knowledge they are not available on line.  I have copies as PDFs.  Send me your email address in a PM and I'll send them to you, as well as a more recent article that I have on this coinage.  I was a lot newer to the hobby when I wrote them, and I would write them differently now.

My own collection of undated Wladislaus are in my personal gallery at https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2233.

I am very interested in the hoard you are working on.

Stkp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity