Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Domitian Tetradrachm OTD & a Question  (Read 850 times)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Domitian Tetradrachm OTD & a Question
« on: October 27, 2014, 03:43:31 pm »
Thought I would share my latest acquisition in the COTD thread for wider appreciation.  I traded a very rare Caracalla TEMPORVM denarius https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-106104 for this wonderful Tetradrachm of Domitian.

I love the size of this coin and big portrait especially when held in hand.  Style is great as is the condition.  Probably minted in Rome for circulation in the East.  It also has "P" in exergue underneath the corn ears.  

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-113848

IMP CAES DOMITIANVS
Laureate head of Domitian right

AVG GERM
Six ears of corn; P in exergue

circa 95 AD

10.17g

RPC 874/1, RIC 853

My question: Is it still considered a Cistophoric tetradrachm if there is no Cista Mystica on the reverse?  I have two Antony Cistophoric's which show the cista and snakes but there is no reference to it on this and many other coins called Cistophoric Tetradrachms...can someone enlighten me?

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: Domitian Tetradrachm OTD & a Question
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 05:49:00 pm »
Both RPC and RIC call these issues cistophori. However, Mattingly in BMCRE and Sear in RSC calls them tets. Apparently more recent scholarship prefers calling them cistophori, perhaps linking the coins to the earlier issues under Augustus.

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 07:52:23 pm »
Lovely coin.

I've always liked these cistophori.

Alberto

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 08:00:00 pm »
Thanks Alberto and  David.  

It actually copies a type by Augustus with the same grain reverse but there is no relation I can see to Bacchus and the Cista Mystica cult.   The Octavian/Augustus Cistophori have Pax with the Cista in the field but there are so many others that have no iconography of Bacchus.  

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 06:44:45 am »
what a great looking coin!
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 02:37:16 pm »
That's a lovely coin, Jay, with nice style and good surfaces. I love the style and heft of these tetradrachms/cistopheroi.  I have a nice Claudius tet/cis that I posted here a while ago, purchased as an affordable (at the time) alternative to a good quality Claudius denarius. I think you made a good trade!

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 01:52:21 am »
A very enviable addition, with a portrait of the finest style+++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity