Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with an Alexander Tetradrachm  (Read 657 times)

Anthony B

Help with an Alexander Tetradrachm
« on: October 25, 2014, 10:00:20 am »
Hi I bought this coin a while back and have never been able to identify it.  The coin came from Afghanistan and looks like it has a date. (something 15)  The only Alexander coins I can find with a date come from Sidon.  The style does not match and the x in circle  and the owl eyes by the right shoulder.  Additionally the name Alexander is missing a letter.   Anyone got any ideas.  Thanks Anthony

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Help with an Alexander Tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 10:26:24 am »
I note also a blundered legend below Zeus on the reverse. Not a good sign.
Can you provide photos of the edges to see if there is a casting seam?
Also, provide the weight, as this could be important.
PeteB

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 10:53:37 am »
Not needed in my opinion... Look at Zeus's legs, they look like they were drawn by the team that does "Family Guy"... Modern for sure...

Sorry...

Anthony B

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 11:15:28 am »
here is the side picture I hope they help.  When I bought the coin I weighted it at 16.8 grams.   Anthony

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 11:44:49 am »
The edge picture is quite fuzzy, but I "think" I see a casting seam. The weigth is a bit light, too.
The Afghanis have been making quite a few fakes in recent years....to sell to U.S. and other foreign troops and civilians, since I doubt that there are very many tourists these days.
PeteB

Anthony B

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 11:48:32 am »
Thanks for your thoughts I'm a newbie at ancient coins and any input is a help.   thanks Anthony

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 03:28:53 pm »
I would not 100% sure it is a fake.  It reminds me of a couple of very early, very good Celtic imitations I have seen--and that in the left field looks rather like a Celtic shield.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 03:44:28 pm »
It is an eastern imitative probably from the region of Arachosia which is now southern Afghanistan and southwestern Pakistan.

It imitates the Babylonian series originally struck around 319-317 BC.  The symbol in the left field is a wheel.  The legend is blundered not just in the royal title, but also in the spelling of Alexander having dropped the delta from the spelling... clear signs of ancient imitative origin.  The weight is within norm for an imitative.

Here is another variant example sans royal title, but otherwise the same and probably of the same origin as suggested by the obverse die match. Note the retrograde N in the legend another pointer to an imitative origin.

UNCERTAIN EAST. Circa 320-280 BC. AR Tetradrachm (27mm, 17.12 g, 5h). In the name and types of Alexander III of Macedon. Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin / Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; wheel in left field. Unpublished, but cf. Price P187-202 for wheel symbol on official issues from Babylon mint.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 03:54:22 pm »
Another example from the same dies as the preceding example.

Macedonian Kingdom. Alexander III, the Great. Silver Tetradrachm (16.7g), 336-323 BC. Contemporary imitation. Copying Babylon, ca. 323-317 BC, or slightly later. Head of Herakles right, wearing lion's skin headdress. Reverse: AΛEΧANΔPOY (N retrograde), Zeus seated left, holding eagle and scepter; in left field, wheel. Price -, but cf. under Philip III P187-202; Hersh -. Untoned. Very Fine.
The peculiar style, slightly low weight, and retrograde N in the legend all point to this coin be an unofficial issue rather than a unique variety in the name of Alexander.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 11:04:30 pm »
I, too, would not be so quick to say this coin a modern counterfeit.

I do not see a casting seam along the edge.  What is perceived as a casting seam can be attributed to lighting

As to the weight:  16.8 gm is a bit on the low side, but well within the range of weights found on coins in the name of Alexander.   Study the tables on pages 41 - 45 of Price's book and you will see the weights range from 17.3+ gm down to less than 15.0 gm.  The heaviest coins seem to be in the periods of 336-25 BC and 325-17 BC.  After that there are more coins of lower weights.  So I would not worry about a weight of 16.8 gm.

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 05:54:52 am »
However the details on Anthony B's coin seem much softer and soapy than the imitation examples posted, and the patina/toning on the obverse looks suspect to me, so I suppose the question remains open.

One more test you could do is give the obverse a wipe over with acetone, nail polish remover, or some similar light thinners ( petrol, lighter fluid etc.) . If the Toning is desolved then it is a sure sign of an artificial patina.

Best wishes,

Lee.

Anthony B

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 06:38:35 am »
Thanks for all the info.  Anthony

All coins are guaranteed for eternity