Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gordian III/A few coins from Mysia Germe  (Read 726 times)

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
Gordian III/A few coins from Mysia Germe
« on: October 25, 2014, 09:20:05 am »
I recently received a nice example of a small (AE20) from Mysia Germe depicting Heracles dragging Cerberus with a chain. The coin, as it turns out, upgrade an example, which I had forgotten that I had. (It happens!!). The coin was minted during the reign of Gordian III. The city minted numerous types depicting Heracles. This has prompted me to post a few of my Germe examples depicting Heracles. The first is a AE30 showing Heracles reclining on the back of a Lion.

1) 2007.286.1 Mysia, Germa

Gordian III

AE30; 11.30 g; 6h

Obverse: ΑVΤ • Κ • Μ • ΑΝΤ • ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC; Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
Reverse: ЄΠ ΑΠΟΛΛΟ-Ν-ΙΔΟV//ΓЄΡΜΗΝ/ΩΝ; Heracles, holding bow in right hand and club in left, reclining left on the back of a Lion walking to the right.
Ref: RPC S-3-VII.1 108/13 [This Coin] [A5/R1]; Ehling 215 [V4/R12];
Notes: Ex CNG 76 (12 Sept. 2007) Lot 1060; Ex James E. Cain Collection; Ex G&M 115 (5 March 2002) Lot 1369;

c.rhodes
Update: This coin is RPC S-3-VII.1 108/13. I will let Spoerri know that this coin also is in my collection.

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
Re: Gordian III/A few coins from Mysia Germe
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 09:33:45 am »

This next one has been in my collection for a while and is a bit rough. This one depicts Heracles strangling the Nemean Lion; Heracles' first labor.

2) 2007.229.2 Mysia, Germe

Gordian III

AE20; 4.62 g; 5h

Obverse: ΑV Κ Μ ΑΝΤ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC; Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from the behind.
Reverse: ΓЄΡΜ-ΗΝΩ//Ν; Heracles, nude, right, strangling the Nemean Lion.
Ref: vii.1' target='_blank'>RPC VII.1 143/10 [A18/R3; Siting a single example from the Munthandel G. Henzen sales list from August 1999, #487.]

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 09:45:46 am »

The next two examples depict Heracles with Cerberus, Heracles' 12th Labor. "Eurystheus ordered Hercules to go to the Underworld and kidnap the beast called Cerberus (or Kerberos)." This vicious 3-headed beast guarded the gates of Hades. ". . . A monster not to be overcome and that may not be described, Cerberus who eats raw flesh, the brazen-voiced hound of Hades, fifty-headed, relentless and strong."
Hesiod, Theogony   310.

Known examples of this coins, Spoerri lists 13 examples, all come from the same Obverse and Reverse dies.

3) 2014.279.2 Mysia, Germe

Gordian III

AE20; 4.51 g; 6h

Obverse: ΑVΤ Κ Μ ΑΝΤ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC; Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
Reverse: ΓЄΡΜ-Η-ΝΩΝ; Heracles, nude, but for Lion's skin draped over left arm; club over left shoulder; drags the 3-headed Cerberus by a chain right.
Ref: vii.1' target='_blank'>RPC VII.1 145/1-13 [A16/R1]; Ehling 284-286 [V19/R74];

4) 2014.294.1 Mysia, Germe

Gordian III

AE20; 3.88 g; 6h

Obverse: ΑVΤ Κ Μ ΑΝΤ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC; Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
Reverse: ΓЄΡΜ-Η-ΝΩΝ; Heracles, nude, but for Lion's skin draped over left arm; club over left shoulder; drags the 3-headed Cerberus by a chain right.
Ref: vii.1' target='_blank'>RPC VII.1 145/1-13 [A16/R1]; Ehling 284-286 [V19/R74];

c.rhodes

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 03:22:25 pm »
Nice series c.rhodes..

I like this. +++

Best regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 04:22:14 pm »

Thanks Q, a few more to come!!

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 12:03:30 pm »

The next three examples are basically the same reverse type, Heracles standing, with lion's skin and club. Spoerri in vii.1' target='_blank'>RPC VII.1 lists 12 examples, from two different reverse dies and all the same obverse die [1-9 A19/R1 and 10-12 A19/R2]. In the recent RPC update she adds three more coins (all a die match to coins 1-9 [A19/R1]) one of which, which I will show here, is in my collection.

The first coin I will show is a reverse die match to R2 (vii.1' target='_blank'>RPC VII.1 146/10-12), but the obverse is not A19, though it appears to be quite close. The difference is in the lettering and the laurel ties. It does not seem to match the other small modulus obverse dies so my in fact be a new obverse die. There is the possibility that it is a damaged A19 die.

5) 2005.126.68 Mysia, Germe

Gordian III

AE18, 3.32 g; 11h

Obverse: ΑV Κ Μ ΑΝΤ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝ[ΟC] ; Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
Reverse: ΓЄΡΜ-ΗΝΩΝ; Heracles, nude, standing facing, or slightly to right; Lion's skin draped over left arm, right hand resting on club set on ground.
Ref: cf vii.1' target='_blank'>RPC VII.1 146/10 [Reverse die match, different obverse.];
Notes: I looked at the Paris specimen and its obverse die is a match to the A19 dies and its reverse is a match to my reverse die.

6) 2007.229.1 Mysia, Germe

Gordian III

A18; 3.62 g; 12h

Obverse: • ΑV • Κ • Μ • ΑΝΤ • ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC; Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
Reverse: ΓЄΡΜ-ΗΝΩΝ; Heracles, nude, standing facing, or slightly to right, head looking left; Lion's skin draped over left arm, right hand resting on club set on ground.
Ref: vii.1' target='_blank'>RPC VII.1 146/1-9; RPC S-3-VII.1 146/13-15;

7) 2014.294.2 Mysia, Germe

Gordian III

A18; 3.60 g; 12h

Obverse: • ΑV • Κ • Μ • ΑΝΤ • ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC; Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
Reverse: ΓЄΡΜ-ΗΝΩΝ; Heracles, nude, standing facing, or slightly to right, head looking left; Lion's skin draped over left arm, right hand resting on club set on ground.
Ref: RPC S-3-VII.1 146/13 [This Coin];
Note: Spoerri uses the CNG EAuction 201, Lot 238 reference for her update; She does not know that the coin is in my collection.

c.rhodes

All coins are guaranteed for eternity