Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting early Pius denarius  (Read 948 times)

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Interesting early Pius denarius
« on: October 23, 2014, 11:17:03 am »
I just bought this nice denarius:
IMP T AEL CAES - ANTONINVS , bare head of Antoninus right /
TRIB PO T - COS DES II , Felicitas standing left, holding (short) caduceus and cornucopiae.
The whole series as Caesar COS DES II comprises only four coin types: Minerva, Aequitas, Fides and Pietas (Concordia on an aureus).
This seems to be a new type.

Frans

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Interesting early Pius denarius
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 02:23:58 pm »
Hmmm Interesting
 Congratulation..
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Charles S

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 04:56:57 pm »
Wonderful ! Besides being probably an unrecorded / unlisted type, it also has a beautiful portrait and toning.
Charles Schotman

My gallery

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 01:13:28 am »
Antoninus as Caesar with COS DES II rather than the usual COS is rare in all denominations, but especially on denarii.

I happen to have a similar specimen, from the same die pair as Frans', acquired in 2000!
Curtis Clay

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 04:42:29 am »
Felicitas was present in the first series as caesar, so it would have been strange if it was absent in this series, but apparently only few coins were minted. It is nice to own an object so rare :)
Thank you all for your comments.

Frans

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 05:34:39 am »

This is a wonderful coin and you must be very proud to have it in your collection CONGRATULATIONS

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 09:38:29 am »
Nice find, Frans (and Curtis). Have either of you alerted the RIC revision team of this new type?

Offline Daniel R6

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 09:50:25 am »
Great coin!

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 11:06:15 am »
Quote from: Carausius on October 24, 2014, 09:38:29 am
Nice find, Frans (and Curtis). Have either of you alerted the RIC revision team of this new type?

I may be wrong, but I don't think that anyone is actively working on the RIC revision for Antoninus Pius.

Secondly, Frans and I have so many unpublished types or varieties for Pius, and add new ones so frequently, that it will be essential for the prospective cataloguer of the reign to get in touch with us, and make arrangements to view our collections!

My first collection of Pius is now in Oxford, so available in a public collection for consultation by any researcher. I am hoping that my second collection too will end up in a public collection.

Curtis Clay

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 01:47:51 pm »
Have either of you alerted the RIC revision team of this new type?

I think the RIC revision team is away on long vacation with the RRC revision team, and re the discussion a day ago, the BMC Greek revision team may have joined them at the bar. The few revisions that occur of such fundamental books are usually down to the heroic efforts of individuals, and often a revision appears under an entirely different title and in a different series, Woytek on Trajan being an example. BMC Greek Italy, Sicily and Macedonia would I realise now be marvellous volumes to revise, and it'll probably happen one day but not in BMC format nor even in SNG format, but as an online database, in much the same way that Ghey, Leins, Crawford online catalogue has replaced the catalogue of BMCRR, with twice as many coins, yet omits the text sections and footnotes that make BMCRR so valuable, indeed permanently irreplaceable. From what I've seen of decades of numismatics, the only way to ensure a beloved volume is updated is to do it oneself. First time publications e.g. the RPC series, tend to get more funding and support.

Very nice and interesting new coin type. I love COS DESIG coins. They are so presumptuous. There's some Republican COS DESIG types. It would make an interesting niche collecting area to collect titles claimed but never actually gained.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 02:55:13 pm »
Antoninus as Caesar with COS DES II rather than the usual COS is rare in all denominations, but especially on denarii.

I happen to have a similar specimen, from the same die pair as Frans', acquired in 2000!

Interesting evidence on the survival rate of ancient coins.

Ross G.

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 04:36:12 pm »
They are so presumptuous.
In modern day, many countries have elections months before the winner takes office.  In the US, in November 2016, someone will be elected President but not take office until January 20.  If our modern leaders issued coins with their own types, coins  struck in December 2016 would correctly carry the legend POTUS DESIG.  I don't see this as presumptuous but just a fact.  Who knows when Consuls for the next year were announced?  I rather like the DESIG issues because they allow us to see the process in action although I suppose it did presume that the emperor would live to see the new year.  I would love to have a COS DESIG coin of Commodus struck in late 192 but we can't win them all. 

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 06:29:43 pm »
Have either of you alerted the RIC revision team of this new type?

I think the RIC revision team is away on long vacation with the RRC revision team, and re the discussion a day ago, the BMC Greek revision team may have joined them at the bar.

Well, one can always naively hope!  Volume 1 of RIC was revised in 1984 and Volume 2.1 in 2007.  I know there are one or two updates in progress online of other volumes/time periods which may, or may never be, published in book form.  I suppose the publishing world has grown beyond small runs of printed books, though I haven't!

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 06:50:36 pm »
I am hoping that my second collection too will end up in a public collection

I have made arrangements that my early Pius coins will end up as yours, Curtis! Yet, being only 64, I hope to enjoy them at home for a number of years.

Bought this one of the same seller: misinterpreted in RIC (from Cohen) 1086 (my second specimen).

Frans

New coin = top

All coins are guaranteed for eternity