Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What is this lead seal pendant?  (Read 399 times)

Offline manpace

• Caesar
What is this lead seal pendant?
« on: October 21, 2014, 01:06:51 am »
Got this curiosity in the mail today.  Heavy little lead seal, teardrop shaped, with a hole to pass a string through.

Crude design, looks like the mongram was scratched on when the die was heated.  The monogram face is nice and flat though.

Seller said it was Roman, but I have no idea if that's accurate or not.  The mongram is latin/greek lettering.

Does it look Roman, or perhaps from a different century?  And any idea about the monogram?  I see a C and an A and maybe a gamma or pi...

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: What is this lead seal pendant?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 08:46:05 am »
It looks like a weight of some sort.  I was going to suggest a loom weight, but there would be no purpose for the engraving on the bottom if it were a loom weight.  I think it may be a weight for something more precious, such as gold or silver.  Perhaps a look at works on Byzantine weights would suggest a meaning for the engraving.

Offline manpace

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 06:06:26 pm »
It looks like a weight of some sort.  I was going to suggest a loom weight, but there would be no purpose for the engraving on the bottom if it were a loom weight.  I think it may be a weight for something more precious, such as gold or silver.  Perhaps a look at works on Byzantine weights would suggest a meaning for the engraving.

I hadn't thought about it being a loom weight - certainly suits its shape, and there might be reasons to scratch a monogram on a loom weight, but to make that surface flat.  That augurs a different purpose. 

Offline Zaph0dd

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 06:58:55 pm »
Quite possibly been a loom weight, that was turned into a seal later in its life.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity