Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: First Meris. Tetradrachm - Thoughts on unmounting from bezel.  (Read 105 times)

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
Hello everyone, I recently picked this up beautiful coin with the hopes of removing it from the bezel.  I’m just a bit apprehensive because of the possibility of damaging it. Any thoughts out there? Anyone had to remove a coin from jewelry? What were the results? 

MACEDON UNDER ROMAN PROTECTORATE. First Meris. Tetradrachm (Circa 167-148 BC). Amphipolis.  23.3g. (including bezel)
Obverse:  diademed and draped bust of Artemis right with bow and quiver over shoulder all within Macedonian shield
Reverse:  club right, monograms MAKEΔONΩN above and ΠPΩTHΣ below, all within oak wreath, winged thunderbolt left field.  Copenhagen 1314.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: First Meris. Tetradrachm - Thoughts on unmounting from bezel.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2024, 08:28:12 pm »
I’d have a professional jeweler take a look.

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 10:39:54 am »
Yes, this has been mounted by an expert. A professional jeweler would be the way to go.
However, looking at the craftsmanship of the work, the decision to remove won't be taken lightly.

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 03:30:48 pm »
It is very well done. I would keep it in the bezel and if I wanted one without a bezel, sell it and get another coin.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 08:37:20 pm »
It is very well done.
I agree. The bezel doesn't take away from the beauty of the coin and it's not soldered on there, so I'm going to keep it as is. It's part of the coin now for better or worse.

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2024, 05:56:18 pm »
It is very well done. I would keep it in the bezel and if I wanted one without a bezel, sell it and get another coin.

It looks reasonably done but there are some cues that the 'bezel' could be a standard jewelry finding (mount) and not custom-made. If that's the case then destructive (to the mount) removal of the coin, e.g. by clipping the prongs, is no great loss thought it's hard to know in advance if the coin has been marked by the prongs. Nevertheless I'd also prefer to keep and wear this one and buy an unmounted coin for the collection.

PtolemAE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity