Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I need ID help for these Roman coins  (Read 465 times)

Anders

I need ID help for these Roman coins
« on: October 18, 2014, 02:33:41 pm »
I need ID help for these Roman coins. It's not the best quality.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: I need ID help for these Roman coins
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 05:35:01 pm »
Forum rules:  One coin per post, give size and weight if possible.

Offline Pharsalos

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 10:25:01 pm »
Looks like they both could be emperor Gratian. Obverse legend is DN GRATIANVS PF AVG. First coin is emperor dragging barbarian, and GLORIA ROMANORVM. Looks to be minted in Constantinople. Second is VOT/XX/MVLT/XXX in wreath, and looks to be Antioch minted. If you type in 'Gratian' and 'Ae 4' into google you should find your coins with a fuller description. Good luck!

Anders

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 05:53:25 am »
Thanks a lot

Offline Merinda

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 06:27:01 am »
The second coin is Constans, and probably Nicomedia mint - SMN(officina), though it could be Heraclea; its sometimes difficult to tell the difference between N and H. The starting dot may help to confirm, but I don't have my RIC with me

Anders

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 01:42:48 pm »
TĀ“hansk for your answers!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity