Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lucius Verus can it look any better?  (Read 789 times)

Offline manpace

• Caesar
Lucius Verus can it look any better?
« on: October 18, 2014, 11:29:54 am »
Got this gorgeous Lucius Verus sestertius.  Wonderful patination, but notice it's blistered on the reverse.  I think the obverse used to look like that too, but the previous owner attempted to fix the obverse, with pitting the result.  Not sure.

I don't suppose there's good patina under any of that ugly stuff on back?

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
Re: Lucius Verus can it look any better?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 11:31:54 am »
I think you are right.  I would leave it alone; IMO any attempts to clean this further will results in disappointment. 

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 01:33:05 pm »
The pits and blisters bother me, I would watch this coin closely for BD, it may require soaking in a mix for neutralizing BD.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 06:34:07 am »
Yes, this looks like a BD susceptible coin.  It may even have active BD in some of the pits.

If the surface was pit-free I would try to remove the encrustations on Verus' face and on the centre of the reverse with a salpel.  However, given the presence of many pits I fear that these are not simple malachite encrustations that would "pop off" but are instead the crusts on BD pits. 

I would leave it as is and watch for BD.  Maybe store it near a silicate pouch.

It is a great coin and hopefully it does not decay.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity