Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman?  (Read 650 times)

AmicaMea

Roman?
« on: October 16, 2014, 01:55:50 pm »
Hi all! I was wondering if enyone could help me with this coin I have. I will be ever so gratefull for all help identifying this. It is a coin that looks roman to me? The front says Agri(something) L F COS III and the back says S (Picture of Neptune or Poseidon?) C. My dad dug the coin up when he was a kid (England) and when he met my mom he drilled a hole in it and put it on a chain and gave it to her. I have been curious about this for a long long time and would be very happy if any of you could help me shed some light over the history of this piece of metal.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Roman?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 02:05:57 pm »
Welcome!

It's supposed to be a coin of Marcus Agrippa like this one:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-50599

Unfortunately yours is a modern reproduction as it was never made in silver.  Still a nice piece.

The same inscription is found on the Pantheon in Rome:

M AGRIPPA LF COS III

AmicaMea

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 02:13:45 pm »
Thank you so much for helping! Kinda sad that it is a reproduction, I was hoping for the real thing, roman history is so fascinating! I guess i just have to buy a real one then, sad part is i wont be wearing it as a necklace since I wouldnt dream of drilling a hole in something that was made thousands of years ago :).

What kind of metal was the original coin made of? Copper?

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 02:20:10 pm »
Yes the original would have been copper, much thicker and heavier than yours.  I actually found an exact copy of yours, right down to the shape in the fake reports:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-11338

Roman coin collecting is a lot of fun and you learn a lot about history "Hands on".  There are many, many authentic coins available for very little money.  Browse the "Coin Shop" in the upper left corner.  Prices can be as low as a few dollars to tens of thousands of dollars....something for everyone! 

AmicaMea

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 02:42:47 pm »
Oh my gosh! My coin is in "dreadful, almost comical style:'( . I thougth it looked nice  :). Oh well. I do find old coins fascinating, to think that people in ancient civilizations held them in their hands is Amazing.

Im going to take your advice and take a look at the coin shop. Problem is my favourites are Julius Ceasar, Marcus Antonius and Nero. Im guessing these coins are quite expensive  :-\ (Wouldnt mind a genuine Agrippa coin now either ;) )

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 04:04:43 pm »
Julius Caesar yes, the others can be had for reasonable amounts.  Have fun window shopping!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity