Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cleopatra VII tripolis Mint-New Var.?? for ID  (Read 607 times)

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Cleopatra VII tripolis Mint-New Var.?? for ID
« on: October 16, 2014, 08:06:36 am »
Hi all;
I need your help to ID this coin AE 22mm-4,4g-12h which i believe is Cleopatra VII-Tripolis mint-RPC 4510 var as i don't see date LB?[May be traces of L?] ,and there is like aphlaston in front of galley and cleopatra bust is not draped...
Thanks in advance for all help
Regards
Nassif
PS:Some corrosion :-[

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re: Cleopatra VII tripolis Mint-New Var.?? for ID
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 03:40:18 am »
Hi Nassif,

Are you sure that your coin only weighs 4.4g, this type should be between 7g and 11g.

Arados

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 09:17:06 am »
Hi;
Yes the weight is 4,4g,the bust is undraped ,not veiled and not turreted,so it's not Tyche for sure,the only possibility is Cleopatra in Tripolis mint,i don't see other alternative ???plus of corrosion like all others published and the eternal weakness.It could be with this aphlaston some new issue.Since yesterday i have seen all Cleopatra Archives,the head is the same ::)
Probably new issue or new variation?? ???not published ;D
Regards
Nassif

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 10:21:49 am »
Not Cleopatra and not Tripolis.

This is from Berytos. Behind Nike the coin reads BHPYTIWN.

Normally thought the obverse head is a bust of Tyche with a turreted crown, which I don't see on your coin. Perhaps it was tooled as the top of the coin is missing the patina.

The Cleopatra issues from Tripolis are dated  Year 2 and don't have the aplustre. Your coin should have the date above Nike's head, but the coin is too rough to see it, though I might be able to make out the bottoms of a letters, it should read LΓN (Year 53, 29/8 BC)

See RPC 4532; Sawaya 117-132; BMC 23-25; AUB 48; Lingren III 1354

Barry Murphy

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 10:42:07 am »
Barry answered you before i could post my reply.

I was thinking along the same lines.

The prow stem is longer than all known types of Tripolis coins and the weight is far too low. In fact i would say that the prow resembles more closely the coins of Berytus than than it does those of Tripolis.

P.S If you look carefully in the bottom left hand corner of the reverse, you can just make out the last couple of letters of Berytos. BH-RU TIWN

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 11:48:08 am »
Great Thanks bpmurphy & Arados for your valuable help;i agree with you,it belongs most probably to Berytos Mint that's why the coin was scratched at mint area to read the letters.
What i would like to understand why we don't see turreted and veiled Tyche?Is that because the coin was tooled in ancient time?or in modern time?if tooling exist really? ???The coin has old rough patina..could be old tooling and why??or modern to look like Cleopatra?
Thanks again
Regards
Nassif

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 10:27:59 am »
Great Thanks bpmurphy & Arados for your valuable help;i agree with you,it belongs most probably to Berytos Mint that's why the coin was scratched at mint area to read the letters.
What i would like to understand why we don't see turreted and veiled Tyche?Is that because the coin was tooled in ancient time?or in modern time?if tooling exist really? ???The coin has old rough patina..could be old tooling and why??or modern to look like Cleopatra?
Thanks again
Regards
Nassif

Hi Nassif,

To be honest i wouldn´t like to guesstimate whether or not it was modified in the past or recentely, it´s maybe something you can determine yourself with coin in hand ?

Possibly somebody with a strange sense of humour thought Tyche would look funny wearing a baseball cap;)

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 10:49:47 am »
I learn daily here great things-Great thanks for all members and especially to Joe who gave us all this huge opportunity to discuss and learn a lot-Always Gratefulllllllllllllllllllll +++
Nassif

All coins are guaranteed for eternity