Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bronze Buckle Caesarea 2  (Read 903 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Bronze Buckle Caesarea 2
« on: October 13, 2014, 05:58:45 pm »
Hi all.  Here is a small bronze buckle from Caesarea Maritima.  I saw some similar items in the excellent numiswiki article on Military Belts, but nothing exactly like it.  Any ideas on date and use would be appreciated.  I am also wondering if the attachment points on the underside are an unusual feature, since most photos I have seen only show the tops.  Thanks, V-drome.

BCC MA9
Bronze Buckle
Uncertain date
Kidney shaped ring and
amphora? shaped openwork
plate.
Length:35mm. wt.4.71gm.

(click for larger pic)

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Bronze Buckle Caesarea 2
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 03:09:31 am »
Very nice.  This is a late type usually associated with Germanic people's from the late 5th-6th century, though nicer ones like this are believed to be made in Byzantine workshops.

The attachment points are interesting.  These could be used for belts and other small straps and possibly on clothing.  The two attachment points imply that they went through some leather or fabric and were then fixed with something that passed through the eyes. 

There are parallels on some of the 7th century Byzantine buckles.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: Bronze Buckle Caesarea 2
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 03:42:55 pm »
Thank you, Shawn.  That was very helpful.  I found some nice 7th century parallels when I searched for "byzantine buckles".  Can anyone tell me if there is a technical term to describe the openwork motif on this example?  I did not see it on any other photos of the buckles I saw.

Regards, Jimi (v-drome)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity