Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pontus coin- Mithradates, Nike and Gorgon, but not from Amisos...  (Read 353 times)

Offline Banjaxed

• Praetorian
This seems to be a fairly common coin, except I don't think it's from Amisos, where most of the examples of the type seem to come from.

The gorgon on the obverse has a flaw in it, but I reckon the Nike is particularly good. Truth be told, I thinks she's lovely!

Anyway, this is what I have made out so far

Reverse; Nike advancing right, fern over left shoulder. Kappa Lambda Gamma (something) Rho Omicron/Omega
Obverse" Gorgon.

I think it might be from the Kabiera mint based on this description of a similar coin I found that had been sold here a while ago"

GB62890. Bronze AE 22, SNG BM 1246; Rec Gén p. 118, 4; BMC Pontus p. 25, 4; SNG Stancomb 711; SNGvA 95 - 96 var (no monogram); SNG Cop -, VF, Kabeira mint, weight 9.107g, maximum diameter 22.4mm, die axis 0o, c. 85 - 65 B.C.; obverse aegis with facing head of Gorgon in center; reverse KABH−PΩN, Nike advancing right, holding palm across shoulders, monogram lower right;

Am I onto something here, or am I way off?

Offline Banjaxed

• Praetorian
Re: Pontus coin- Mithradates, Nike and Gorgon, but not from Amisos...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 08:08:09 am »
PS I apologise for the picture quality. I'm learning!

tomeckk

All coins are guaranteed for eternity