Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Weight of coins and price of silver during the time of Trajan  (Read 416 times)

Offline Paddy

• Consul
  • Marcus Ulpius Traianus Maior
Weight of coins and price of silver during the time of Trajan
« on: October 12, 2014, 02:30:04 pm »
In the book The Coins of Rome - Trajan by Daniele Leoni one can read the following:

... it is important to note that the large quantity of gold released onto the market after the Dacian wars lowered the price of silver.

I don't understand this; shouldn't the price of gold go down because there is more of it? Shouldn't the price of silver go up?

The full passage reads: ... it is important to note that the large quantity of gold released onto the market after the Dacian wars lowered the price of silver. In order to maintain the time-honoured proportion of 25 denarii to the aureus (...), Trajan was forced to reduce the standard of silver in the denarius, lowering from roughly 90-95 % to 80-85% without however altering the weight which remained (...) the same after Nero's reform.

I do not understand why the price of silver went down. I know it should be apparent from the text, but to me it isn't.

If anybody would care to enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
Re: Weight of coins and price of silver during the time of Trajan
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 03:31:35 am »
Good question. I would have presumed (perhaps simplistically) that Trajan reduced the silver content of the denarius because its price against gold had risen, not fallen.
Actually, this raises an interesting question, namely whether gold or silver was the basis of the currency.
Also, if the value of gold fell, and the denarius was devalued to match it, then it would seem  that the value of both the aureus and the denarius must have fallen in terms of other goods. Did this actually happen?

Ross G.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity