Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin no clue 22mm  (Read 398 times)

Offline Nikon

• Legionary
Coin no clue 22mm
« on: October 12, 2014, 12:27:50 am »
no clue this time...

And where can I find books to help me identify these myself??

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Coin no clue 22mm
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 04:10:27 am »
Diocletian tetradrachm  from Alexandria

You posted two pictures of the obverse.

Probably you can find the reverse yourself:
http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term="ΔIOKΛHTIANOC+CEB"+alexandria+tetradrachm

You have to copy and paste this link. It´s not working by clicking.

Manzikert

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 04:18:43 am »
[edit: shanxi posted whilst I was typing]

It is a 'billon tetradrachm' issued by Diocletian in Alexandria in Egypt.

There are several books which can be used to identify these, such as Milne's Catalogue of Alexandrian Coins (old, originally published around 1933 I think, but reprinted several times), but most are now also listed in the new volumes of Sear's Roman Coins and their Values (volume 4 in this case).

The main difficulty in identifying them is that the legends are in Greek, so yours reads ΔIOKΛHTIANOC CЄB for 'Diocletian Augustus'. If you post the reverse someone will identify it more precisely for you: they are normally dated to each year of the reign, but there are several different reverse types each year.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Nikon

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 11:43:18 pm »
missed this photo sorry

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery